Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Choicing the right oil...

I've ventured through most of the forums and still a lille confuse
    about the best 2 stroke oil to use. I have a 2002 Polaris Virage with everything still stock and can't figure out the best oil to use that is locally available.

The first problem I run into is which oil rating best fits this make and model. With all the ratings TC-W3, API TC, ISO-EGB, ISO-EGC, ISO-EGD, JASO-JB, JASO-FC, it's difficult to commit to one and some the brands make it difficult to identify it's ratings.

Then their are specific oils for certian engines types. From what I understand the TCW3 rating was designed for Ashless engines and will not protect an engine requiring Low Ash or a API-TC rating. Using the wrong type may result in fouled plugs, gummy combustion and possible engine damage.

Another concern is which type of oil to use (regular oil, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic? From everything I read the full synthetic is the only way to go. It's the best in every catagory (lubrication, less smoke, etc) except for price...

Does anyone know if the Polaris is a Ashless engin type? Is the full synthetic worth the price? I see the quicksilver is rated for TCW3 or is the yamalube 2w a better choice? Please provide me with some brands of oil that will best suit the Polaris without breaking the bank (under 28 dollars a gallon)...

+1
    Is it FFI? that is an entire different ballgame.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Synthetic is the best quality oil. If you shop around, you may be able to find a reasonable price.

The stock Polaris engines all used an oil injection (actually, an oil dribble) system. The oil gets picked up by the air flowing into the engine, and lubricates the engine internals before being consumed in the combustion chamber.

If you have a Ficht fuel injected engine, the only difference is that the oil is not mixed with fuel in the air intake or crank case. The oil alone is mixed with the intake air. The fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber.

TC-W3 is a much older oil rating system, originally intended for pre-mixed 2-stroke outboard engines.

ISO-EGD or JASO-FC are both excellent oil ratings.

Polaris used to rate their own oils and engines as TC-W3 (since there was no other applicable oil rating system), but the newer Polaris oils use the newer rating system (ISO-EGD, I think ).

API-TC oils are usually used with Sea-Doo 2-stroke engines, and are not appropriate for the Polaris engines.

I use Amsoil HP Injector, since I have a fuel injected Polaris engine. There are other Amsoil 2-stroke oils that will also work well with carbureted Polaris engines.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Hi K447, I have been using seapoo oil (non-synth) for a while, due to having an xp that ran on it. Were talkin'slt750 (94) here. Could this be part of my no-good wash carbon prob. with this ski?

Your knowledge is the _ _ _ _ and I'm sure glad you have a Polaris. ('cause yer alwaze lurkin' he-ya!!)
    Thanks, Rod.

Amsoil 2 stroke oil...

I have a carb model (no fuel injection). So the quicksilver with TCW3 specs probably isn't the best choice? The Yamalube 2W doesn't appear to mark their oil with any ratings? It appears that I'll try and use the Amsoil. Where do they normally sell Amsoil?

+1
    Theres a regular in the polaris section, type amsoil into search. His avatar says amsoil....? Dont remember the rest.

I don't know why this is so difficult for me!!!

I don't know why I make this so difficult. I just rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the oil tank, filter and replaced the fuel/oil lines (green gunk problem) and wanted to start off with the right oil, but it doesn't seem cut and dry? I have a yamaha GP1200r and would like to use the same oil (yamalube 2w) but not sure if that's the best one to use? The polaris VES is so expensive!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    ...I have a Yamaha GP1200r and would like to use the same oil (yamalube 2w) but not sure if that's the best one to use?

The Polaris VES is so expensive!!!!
    There are a couple of versions of Yamalube.

I don't recall all the specifics, but the Yamaha engines with power valves required an oil that didn't gum up the valves. The non-valved engines didn't have that problem, so there was another oil that was OK for them.

If the Yamalube oil rating is ISO-EGD or JASO-FC, it should be fine in your Polaris.

Unless you have rebuilt the engine top end (new piston rings), I would suggest you start with a good synthetic oil.

If the oil lines are all new, add some oil to the fuel tank to assure engine lubrication until all the air bubbles are worked out of the oil hoses.

Perhaps buy a gallon of Polaris VES II oil to get you started, and order some Amsoil to keep going.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Hi K447, I have been using seapoo oil (non-synth) for a while, due to having an xp that ran on it. Were talkin'slt750 (94) here. Could this be part of my no-good wash carbon prob. with this ski?

Your knowledge is the _ _ _ _ and I'm sure glad you have a Polaris. ('cause yer alwaze lurkin' he-ya!!)

Thanks, Rod.
    Whatdya say?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Your ski all stock. No need for synthetic oil IMO.

Save the $$$ and get regular TCW 3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information