Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Please help! Check Engine Light & Warning Beep

Ok first time out on the water this year for me with my 2006 sea doo sportster after the winter sit. I winterized the boat just like every previous year.

Launched it and we road about 3-4 miles then 1 loud warning beep. Then I noticed the check engine light was on. So I tied up to a dock to check everything in the engine compartment to make sure I maybe forgot to plug something in after the winterize, but everything was fine.

No other dummy lights came on just the check engine light.

Boat runs perfectly. Only thing I noticed was my wife had not put the face of my clarion radio on properly.,but radio still worked. In fact radio was playing when light came on.

Any idea what can cause this warning beep and check engine light? What things could I check on my own before having dealer scan it?

Will disconnecting the battery clear any engine code that maybe it picked up from the radio not being seated properly?

Thanks for any help....

hold n on

+1
    Just throwing this out there.. Check the exhaust sensor, maybe its bad or not getting the right cooling??????

I thought maybe a mouse built a nest inside my muffler,so I pulled off the large rubber house on the muffler. No nest but noticed the EGTS Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor was badly crudded up. So removed and cleaned the EGTS but I just read the disconnecting the battery won't reset the ecm and clear the stored check engine code. So looks like I'm stuck taking into the dealer.

Anybody know a good dealer in my area or I would even travel a little further to a dealer that has a good reputation for service on sea doo's?

Im in CapeMay,NJ

Thanks

Got It Fixed Today!

Thanks to the guys at Wildwood Sea Doo I'm back on the water...

Turned out being just what others thought, The Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor. Cool thing was they had it in stock. While hooked up to the Budds system the tech told me I have 82 hours on my 2006 Sportster. I didn't think I racked up that many hours but sure enough I have.

They also did my recall for the airbox. They just added a screen inside the tube on the bottom of the air box. This way no objects could ever be sucked up into my airbox and into the throttle body.

They did all of this while I waited for it,so again to the guys at Wildwood Sea Doo in North Wildwood.
    Thanks for getting me back on the water so fast

+1
    hey glad your back in the game and 82hrs is low for an 06 i burnt a whole tank today and most likely will burn up a tank again tomorrow and all the other weekends this summer aswell ....... I should look into that recall. Also do you find alot of little foam pieces in the bilge of your boat?

To: Sportsterme

Yes when my boat was new,everytime I would wash it I would find pieces of fiberglass and foam stuck inside and hanging out of the 2 little drain plugs at the rear of the boat. Now that my ride has been washed tons of times I don't see much of the debris anymore.

Also I found out something else that should be done every year for people riding in salt water. If your getting a hard shift from reverse into neutral, it's time to remove the reverse bucket and clean the pivot bushings,washers and bolts that hold the reverse bucket on.

Well gotta get to bed! got another long day of boating tomorrow

Hold 'N' On

+1
    Ya iwash it out all the time but keep finding it all the time. I only have fresh water where i am so not a big issue for me but i guess it wouldnt hurt to lube it up to keep it working nice. One thing be sure to check often is the bailer tube ( Clear tube bent in half its by the carbon seal and hooks to the pump) well mine blew off and almost sank my boat cause bilge pump was pluged with foam crap I replaced the crappy plastic zip ties with metal hose clamps.

Any pics of that bailer tube. Im not sure what tube that is in my sportster. I think mine might have 2clamps on it already. Thanks for any pics or info on this

+1
    not the best pic kinda hard getting a camera in there

Thread Information