SC on water, TT on land

need help getting ski going

I just spent the last couple of weeks installing a Rude 1 charger, XS Intercooler, 15/20r impeller, strainer, turboXS rrfpr, 42lb injectors, plus the sea-doo tune up kit.

Edit: I just went out to the river. The first thing was after charging the battery back up, it said 12 volts low until the charging system kicked in, so i'm speculating I have a bad battery.

Then the idle was low, approx. 1300 rpms, until i blipped the throttle, and it jumped up to 1800, fine, and a/f ratio was around 21:1 - 22:1. This seems lean to me. I actually have the rrfpr base pressure set at like 62ish. Then when I was cruising anywhere up to 5700 rpms (couldn't get any higher due to choppiness) my a/f ratio would be between high 14s to low 16s, but mainly stayed in the 15s. Also the throttle response seemed to be a little bit slow.

After about 20 minutes, the ski would idle at over 3,000 rpms! I would cut it off and turn it back on, and it would start off at 2300 rpms and work its way back up to 3,000 rpms.

Finally as I was docking, it got to the point where I couldn't even start it anymore. It would start for like a second and then shut off.

I don't know if the battery has much to do with any of this, but I'm going to get it tested. I'm hoping some of you experts can give me some pointers.

I'm probably about to de-mod this thing a little bit and take off the rude charger, put the riva gen 2 s/c back on, and put the stock fpr back on and just run the external I/C with 42 lb injectors and stock fpr.

SC on water, TT on land
    Edit

Idle RPM is good, and off-load idle ratios etc is good too.

Whats this about the display you mention?

SC on water, TT on land
    you referring to the gauge display? It never showed any problems and it was making a warning beep, but that actually stopped. I've been having problems getting the starter to engage, and when i connected the trickle charger it was showing the battery at 25%, so i'm charging it right now and about to try it again in a little bit.

SC on water, TT on land
    edited first post since I took it out on the river today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PTLanza View Post

After about 20 minutes, the ski would idle at over 3,000 rpms! I would cut it off and turn it back on, and it would start off at 2300 rpms and work its way back up to 3,000 rpms.

Check to make sure your throttle cable is not binding or sticking.

SC on water, TT on land
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Check to make sure your throttle cable is not binding or sticking.
    just checked it, it moves freely and i can hear the throttle plate closing followed, and there's the slightest bit of slack when the thumb throttle is completely released.

SC on water, TT on land
    I have just discovered the culprit to part of my problems. The 2 remaining plugs on my stock intercooler block off had blown out of place which would explain having such a high idle. Since they blew off, I would assume that they were loose to begin with and were causing a vacuum/boost leak which would cause the ski to run a little bit rough. I would further assume that this would cause me to run a little bit lean with the rrfpr due to the leak. Now the IC plugs look like they could screw all the way through the other side of the plenum as I don't see any kind of lip to stop it, so do I need to use something else to plug the blockoff off?

I am also speculating that my battery is going bad which could be contributing to the problem of starting up. Even after charging it, I would still get a 12V low. I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and have it tested.

SC on water, TT on land
    put teflon on the IC block off plugs, put them in. Got a new battery and immediately I could tell a difference in fuel pressure. My bad battery was causing me to run lean. It fired right up and the a/f ratio at idle is sitting at around 14.5 at a 60 psi base. The idle rpms are slightly varying around 1800 rpms so it leads me to believe there's still a vacuum leak somewhere. I may need to add more silicon on the block off plug. Anyways, this is good news!

+1

idle issue

I had the same idle problem after installing XS intercoller. 2 of my 3 plugs came out on the block off. I Put some Blue Loctite on all of them and have not had any issuses.

Thread Information