Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 GP800R Won't Rev above 3-4K RPM

Hello,
    I am have having a problem with my ski. I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, and battery. My ski ran fine on the trailer so i took it out to the lake. Turned on right away but would not rev past 4000 RPM. I tried slowly accelerating and nothing changed. I checked underneath and there is no debris tangled around the impeller. I have done some searching online and came across a few issues.

1. Warped plastic trap door in tank.
    2. Rebuild Carbs which is probably what I need.
    3. Check Filters in Carbs.
    4. Replace Fuel Lines
    5. Impeller wear Ring

Am i on the right track. Any response would greatly help and save me time. Also if there are any How To's for removing the carbs. Or any How To's for maintaining these Ski's Please direct me.These motors seem like a pain to work on.
    I miss My Wave Raider.
    Thank You for your help I can't wait to be out on the water.
    Gus

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    i would start with a compression test.... usually a good place to start when all id good on the trailer and bad under load..... check out http://www.cajundude.com/carbremoval.htm
    its for a 1200 but should be close....

+1
    Bad wear ring won't cause low rpms.

that sounds like it could be any of those things --have you eliminated any of those potential problems

Definitely start with compression check,minimum 110 per cyl.Make sure power valve motor moves properly,then move onto carbs.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    power valves working ???
    mattman

1.Compression is great 135
    2.Wear ring ruled out because it would rev above 4k just wouldn't move very fast.
    3.Going to have carbs rebuilt tomorrow. Mechanic is charging $250 includes parts and labor. Is that a Decent Deal?
    I would like to tackle this job myself but don't have the time to right now.
    4.How do I check the powervalves?

Also going to add a primer kit for easier starting this thing takes a while to get started. Oil block off kit and new fuel lines. Hopefully she'll be ready to ride this weekend.

Thanks for the advise that's what I love about this site can always count on good advice.
    Gus

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Bad wear ring won't cause low rpms.
    +1 if anything it would be higher

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider3 View Post
    3.Going to have carbs rebuilt tomorrow. Mechanic is charging $250 includes parts and labor. Is that a Decent Deal?
    YES
    4.How do I check the powervalves?
    Just blip the start button to crank it for a second afterward you should hear a servo open and close.... zzzzz zzzzzzz...... look it up on the parts finder....
    good luck

+1
    depending on how you winterized your ski at the close of last season, and previous seasons for that matter...I'd pull the carbs off...grab yourself a needle and a small flat head screwdriver...Unscrew the jets and make sure they have zero blockage. As far as the fuel lines themselves you can easily disconnect them (one at a time while putting each back as you move onto the other)...and manually blow into them to see if there is flow.

Was this the first time you started the ski for the season?
    Have you changed the pitch of your impeller or your impeller in general?
    (a friend just lost 1300 rpms by attempting to put a 14/24 impeller in a bone stock 98 kawi 1100 stx)

Sounds stupid...but check to make sure all of your spark plugs are actually getting spark. (Another friend was wrenching on one of their machines and slipped and pushed too hard on the plug wires...pulled it off the diode and had 2/3 cylinders running for around a 3500 rpm limit.)

Another thing to check is if your bearings have frozen within your pump...your skill is now 9 years old...I just replaced 2 sets of Polaris 2001 or 02 (cant remember exactly) bearings where one had completely frozen and put a significant taxing on the motor itself.) You can pull the pump out easily and check by just manually spinning the pump by hand while holding the driveshaft...on a normal operating machine it'll give you a good 6+ rotations.

If its old fuel, or a "first start for season" then also check the fuel filter. If your comp is 135 a cylinder I wouldn't worry about that.

Is this your first time on the water for the season? Let me know. How long did you try and hold the throttle to open it up before throwing in the towel?

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information