Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BLOWN MOTOR

BLOWN MOTOR

Hi guys just had my GP1300R 04 model with full stage 2 kit which was running 74-75mph a top end freshen up as ski has been sold ,had the works done by a professional mechanic which he changed pistons rings and bearings but was able to used prox pistons which ski needed no oversizing ,anyhow mechanic told me that as we did not go oversize the ski needed aonly a good warm up and then i could ride it basically like i stole it,the only changes mechanic did was put brand new pro series reeds and we changed the prop to a 14/20,so i took it out today ran it for roughly 15min gently and then squeezed the trigger gently to over half throttle and the ski bogged and died,i let the current drift me to land so i could check under the seat for any leaks and al good,so tried to crabkit and started perfect so being worried i rode it listening for any noises but all was good then gave it a bit of stick and again bogged and died and could not start it anymore,got towed back to shore and went to the mechanics and pulled spark plugs out and No 1 piston was metal colour and very dry N02 and N03 both dry indicating ski ran lean,did comp test and all over the place and piston 1 and 3 low comp,mechanic said ski has run lean and grenaded for some reason,why did this happen as all was good before freshen up and efi settings the same only changed prop and boysen reeds from VF3,what do you guys think we should be looking for or what may have caused the problem,why did it run lean
    PLEASE HELP

+1
    Did he properly seal the reeds and cages.Do you have pics of the pistons.

you say did he properly seal the reeds and cages ,if they hadnt been why would they cause leaning out to happen,the heads will be off on monday as i dropped ski off to mechanic as he was closing saturday so will see the extent of the damage monday

+1
    If the cages leak, it goes lean. 2 strokes are ultra sensitive to air leaks.

can you tell if the reeds had been leaking what do i have to look for as im sure as there are not that many honest mechanics to admit to there wrong doing that they will try and pass the problem on to me so they can wipe there hands clean ,mechanic has said to me there must be a fuel problem pressure or my efi controler shit itself which i find very hard to believe that as its very funny that this problem has happeed after rebuild and never had a problem before until this rebuild,this reed air leak sounds very convincing to me as i have also spoken to many other guru,s and mechanics and they all seem to point the finger to the reeds not being sealed properly,so how should i tell if it has been a air leak in reeds installation

+1
    Did he use gaskets to seal the reeds?

+1
    Well if it ran good before and all you had him do is a "freshen up" on the top end,why would the carbs be out of wack? The only other thing he touched was the reeds/cages.

ski is injected and yes nothing was changed besides top end freshen up changed reeds to boysen as im keeping vf3 for other ski and changed prop,im not sure if he used gaskets or some type of liquid gasket will have to see for myself and stand ove r them as they pull it apart,will let you now the outcome

+1
    Joe Blo,

Take a good look at your heads and see if water might have leaked in the cylinders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblo
    ski is injected and yes nothing was changed besides top end freshen up changed reeds to boysen as im keeping vf3 for other ski and changed prop,im not sure if he used gaskets or some type of liquid gasket will have to see for myself and stand ove r them as they pull it apart,will let you now the outcome

Oh yeah,i forgot it was an 04'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information