Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Running out of fuel?

Took my 96 XP out for its maiden voyage today. Everything went really well, just one small issue. When going WOT it runs great, then after about 6-8 seconds it will drop on rpms....from like 6820 to around 4500. I would let off of it right away just in case it was a lean issue, but from what I understand, if I am lean at WOT, it will hit high rpm, then drop off, then go back up, like it is hunting for an rpm. When at WOT it is rock solid at top rpm, until the dropoff. Motor is freshly rebuilt, fresh rebuilt carbs, all new fuel lines and filters, bypassed selector, new gas tank. Only mod is ProK F/A. Finished break in yesterday.

77.5 pilots
    Stock mains
    80 gram springs
    2.0 needles and seats
    21 psi popoff

Lows - 1.5
    Highs - Closed

The lows sound kind of rich to me, but the plugs were a nice brown. Wasn't able to do any good plug chops today because it was kind of choppy, but the checking I did, the plugs were a nice brown color. Ideas?

Inspect and clean the RAVE's and water regulator. Go through the carbs and fuel selector. Clip spark plug wires half inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Inspect and clean the RAVE's and water regulator. Go through the carbs and fuel selector. Clip spark plug wires half inch.
    Did all of those when I rebuilt the engine. Checked the carb filters and raves again this morning before I went out, didn't find anything and got the same results. The water regulator seems to be weeping at idle, could that have anything to to with it? What exactly does the water regulator control?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Remove your fuel pump and check the mica check valves.

Check post 17 in this thread for pic referral. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=94481&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Remove your fuel pump and check the mica check valves.
    are those the clear looking discs in the pump with the black grommets holding them in? Anything in particular to look for? I replaced them when I did the carb rebuilds

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I edited my post above. Check the pics.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLK MAJK View Post
    . When going WOT it runs great, then after about 6-8 seconds it will drop on rpms....from like 6820 to around 4500. I would let off of it right away just in case it was a lean issue, but from what I understand, if I am lean at WOT, it will hit high rpm, then drop off, then go back up, like it is hunting for an rpm.

The lows sound kind of rich to me, but the plugs were a nice brown. Wasn't able to do any good plug chops today because it was kind of choppy, but the checking I did, the plugs were a nice brown color. Ideas?
    When the carbs are lean you will find when you pin the throttle it will get to peak rpms very quickly and then slowly start to decline like 50 -100rpms in a matter of a couple of seconds. To drop that much in revs is a fuel supply issue either in the carbs or the fuel selector valve blocked with crud

If the plugs are brown that is a good sign. You are looking at the porcelein being brown not the electrode .

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    When the carbs are lean you will find when you pin the throttle it will get to peak rpms very quickly and then slowly start to decline like 50 -100rpms in a matter of a couple of seconds. To drop that much in revs is a fuel supply issue either in the carbs or the fuel selector valve blocked with crud

If the plugs are brown that is a good sign. You are looking at the porcelein being brown not the electrode .

Fuel slector is bypassed. I am running the reserve line out from the baffle to the fuel filter. The regular fuel line out from the baffle is blocked off. One thing I was thinking, is that the 'T' fitting for my primer is in the reserve line. That 'T' wouldn't restrict the fuel flow that much to cause this issue would it? I was going to try and run thr primer off of the regular fuel line so the reserve line (which is now my main feed) has no restrictions in it.

Another thing: Sometimes it will bog when accelerating from idle when using less than half throttle. If I peg it, it is fine. But at less than 1/2 throttle it bogs for a second then starts moving. Is is possible that my lows are open too far (1.5 turns) and trying to compensate for lean on the top end? Highs are currently closed.

Bump

Checked carb filters, they were clean. Checked mica check valves in pump, looked good, no debris, changed them with the extra set from my carb rebuild kit. Nothing found out of the ordinary yet. Any thoughts on my post above?

Another bump....found something, but not sure if it would be related to this issue. I was blowing air into the fuel vent (the one under the hood latch) and It could hear air bubble going into the tank, but then I could hear a hissing noise like an air leak. I tracked it down to the overflow line (the one that is T-ed into the vent line that exits under the rub rail on the left side). There is a definite hole in that line about 2" from where it exits the hull. The guy before me must have had a mouse living in the ski because the seat looked like it had chew marks and thats what the hole in the hose feels like (like something chewed on it). When I put my finger on the hole, the tank holds the pressure. Could this be related? Also, how the hell would it get that line off and replace it? I dont think I could get a hose clamp in there and tighten it up...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information