Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad stator?

Bad stator?

I have a 2000 Virage 700 carb with no spark. I went through the steps outlined in the Electrical Domestic tech tips (Thanks). All was good till I got to the Stator check using a 9V Battery. I got the same results with both the green and red wires as I slowly rotated them: Started around 1250 Ohms, went to ~105 Ohms, then went up to 605 Ohms. Repeated 105 to 605 while battery still connected. If I reset the battery when it was reading 105, it would cycle to 605. If I reset the the battery when it was reading 605, it would change back to 1250 Ohms until it's first pass to 105, then change to 605 Ohms on all subsequent passes as long as the battery was still connected. I believe it is a bad stator, I just want smarter people to tell me I'm right before I shell out the bucks for a new one. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I'm guessing you have already found the Service Manuals.

Are you sure about the 1250 ohms?

Sometimes multi-meters will change 'ranges' automatically, and show kilo-ohms or mega-ohms instead of just ohms. 1250 ohms is too low when the sensor is not in 'trigger position', but 1250 Kohms (1,250,000 ohms) would be OK.

And you are sure you had the 9 volt battery polarity correct? Just checking - don't want a bad test to make you replace a good stator

The transition between 105 and 605 ohms doesn't worry me as much as the 1250 ohms.

BTW, were your fingers touching the meter probes while you were testing? Fingers can alter the ohm results...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris domestic Hall Effect Trigger Coil testing 2000 Virage-SLX-Pro1200-Genesis.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	134465  

Correction: 280K was the initial reading on each of the wires. I was not touching the probes (I was turning the shaft and it was greasy so I needed both hands.) I had the neg wire to Grey and Positive wire to Brown. I also put in the Red/purple to orange jumper while I was in there, cause I occasionally have hard starting when recently running.

+1
    Well, the low ohm value when the trigger position occurs should have been consistent every time around, but the exact ohm reading you get does depend on the particular meter that you are using for the test.

My suspicion is that the Hall Effect sensors in your stator are OK.

I'm using a Fluke 88V. Is it normal to se the initial reading at 280K, then upswing to 105 Ohms, then downswing to 605 Ohms, then repeat the 105 to 605 cycle as long as the stator has a constant 9V? Then, when the 9V is disconnected starts again at 280K? Any ideas where else to look? Thanks, Mike

+1
    What is important with the Hall Effect sensor is that the ohm reading must drop dramatically to a low ohm value when the trigger magnet passes. This is what triggers the spark timing in the CDI.

Normally (in a cranking engine) the flywheel is not standing still with the magnet near the sensor, so the fluctuating ohm reading there may just be an artifact of your particular meter interacting with the sensor.

The service manual describes an alternate testing method, using an LED resistor and battery. The LED comes on when the magnet triggers the Hall Effect sensor. This would be less sensitive to ohm variations, but I still think your test was valid enough.

I could be wrong about all this, of course.

If I accept that the stator is okay, what else could I look at without buying something I probably don't need? Thanks for yor help. Mike

+1
    Have you confirmed that the battery is actually good?

Put your meter on the Red/Purple wire going to the CDI, and the Black wire terminals inside the electrical box. While the engine is cranking, what is the voltage?

It MUST be over 10.5 volts while the engine is cranking, or you will not have spark.

Yes, its at 11.8 cranking.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm492 View Post
    Yes, its at 11.8 cranking.
    Really - wow, strong battery! Good stuff

Have you worked through the no-spark section of of the Polaris service manual?

Checked that the safety lanyard is in place, and the engine stop wires are working correctly (not shorted)?

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the CDI, and see if it allows sparking.

When cranking, do you see a little spark just as you release the start button?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information