Thread: carbon seal

carbon seal

Can someone tell me or show me what to look for on a bad one? I looked at mine last night but it matted up against the flange pretty tight and there are no missing pieces of it so im lost.

look for water in your hull! no water no worries

thats the thing i had tons of water in the haul in about 10sec. i had water to where the top of the supercharger would be if my ski had one. Im just trying to find out how these things look when they go bad do they just wear bad on one side from missalignment. Or do they have pieces of the seal that go missing? I looked over the seal and cant see anything really wrong to the eye.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonstang88 View Post
    Can someone tell me or show me what to look for on a bad one? I looked at mine last night but it matted up against the flange pretty tight and there are no missing pieces of it so im lost.
    Mine doesn't leak a drop but I have no hole shot all all. I'm sucking nothing but air until I get up to about 30mph. I just ordered a new skat trac seal.

+1
    I've read on here that the seal can look like new and still leak like a bitch. I don't think you could tell from looking at it unless you had a catastrophic failure. If you got that much water in your hull that fast and the exhaust isn't the culprit then change that seal. Then put 2 bilge pumps in it.

it's the seal

that sounds like the seal i had the same problem with mine cavitate out of the hole you may have lost the nipple on the drive shaft so the seal still looks good. how many hours on the ski? i had a bad crank shaft retainer on mine so everything was good but the crank would move and let water in. good luck

When they leak, they leak big style. They tend to beat themselves against the metal face of the retainer when they go, and the gap rapidly increases to 2mm-ish. It gan happen soooo quickly too.

Consider change if you have a performance boat for sure. The air they pull in is incredible under real acceleration.

Or try the time honoured replace and go for it.

102hrs on my ski and i have done the pump extension kit to it so it has been apart before. No cavitation issues with it just this last problem and yes i need a bilge pump very bad.

+1
    Pull your air intake hose and run it with the seat off. Give it a couple of full throttle hole shots while looking at the carbon seal. If it's bad, you will see water spritzing or shooting out of it. And like others have said, make sure the engine side of the drive shaft has the rubber cap on it.

Well i figured out what the hell happened now i just have to figure out why it did. So i seen a recent post about the T-X having issues and i thought id look up in the tunnel at the nose cone and there was about a 2 foot long string of fiberglass wrapped up around the D/S right at the nose cone. There were a few pieces between the seal and the flange only i thought NO what are the chances of that happening well i guess they are good. But at lease i have my answer as to what caused my leak.

Thread Information