Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Changing springs on a trailer

My EZ Loader replacement springs are just not cutting it - I think they sent me the wrong ones. Trailer still bounces quite a bit after hitting bumps. If you stand in back and push down on the ski, the trailer will bounce a few times. I think the springs are just too weak.

Here's my question - Northern Tool has replacement springs that are rated at either 1500 lbs or 2000 lbs. I'm thinking the 1500 set is the ticket. But rather than having an eyelet at the front and a "slipper style" or "C" style in the rear, there are eyelets at both ends. That's easy enough to mount on the trailer, but can there be any ill effects to using this style of spring?

I just have to get the bounce out of the trailer. At times, after a hard bump, it seems uncontrollable and I have to hit the brakes to calm the trailer down.

Any advice is appreciated.

You would need shackles on the rear of those type of springs. (Double eyelets)

I still say if it is bouncing, slap some shocks on it. That or get the correct springs for the weight you will be hauling. Even then, it will still bounce as here is nothing to control the jounce.

+1
    I called EZ Loader and confirmed I have the "correct" springs. I just don't remember my ski bouncing this much. He did tell me to have only about 100 lbs on the tongue, and to move more weight to the rear (I had 149 lbs tongue weight). I moved the ski back about 3 inches, which lowered tongue weight to 120. I'll see if this helps, and if so, I may move it back a tad more.

What concerns me is that on the way to MB last year I broke a leaf spring - which I consider unusual. It got me thinking that maybe all the bouncing is having ill effects on the springs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Springs mostly just 'spring'.

The only real dampening action is the friction between the spring leaves as they move against each other.

Softer springs will flex farther with a given road jolt, and may have a little more dampening action, since the leaves are sliding farther. That might reduce the amount of bounce your trailer has.

How much play do the spring ends have under the frame?

Excess play at the spring mounts may aggravate any bouncing tendency (and can be noisy). I think there are rubber inserts available that can restrict the free play in the spring mounts.

What did you think of the trailer shock absorbers option?

+1
    Its time for a newer trailer you tight ass !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrager View Post
    Its time for a newer trailer you tight ass !
    I know, I know! But I can't see forking out $1,500 for a Triton aluminum one. What a ripoff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    I called EZ Loader and confirmed I have the "correct" springs. I just don't remember my ski bouncing this much. He did tell me to have only about 100 lbs on the tongue, and to move more weight to the rear (I had 149 lbs tongue weight). I moved the ski back about 3 inches, which lowered tongue weight to 120. I'll see if this helps, and if so, I may move it back a tad more.

What concerns me is that on the way to MB last year I broke a leaf spring - which I consider unusual. It got me thinking that maybe all the bouncing is having ill effects on the springs.
    Damn your memory is getting bad in your old age! It was actually on the way to my house before the ride we had at Rayburn last April.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Damn your memory is getting bad in your old age! It was actually on the way to my house before the ride we had at Rayburn last April.
    See what you have look forward to when you get older?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    See what you have look forward to when you get older?

I am not nearly as sharp as I was 10 yrs ago.... I might be in a nursing home 10 yrs from now!

+1
    Damn. I'd have bet money it was right before MB! Jeez, I'm going senile already...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information