Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'08 Ultra 250X Water in Oil @ 75hrs.

Hi All,

Wanted to get some insight and comments on this.

Background info:
    2008 Ultra 250X
    No mods
    78 hours

Chapter 1:
    Memorial day weekend on Lake Conroe ("Lake Conrough") I got a low pressure oil warning while playing around doing tight turns. Stopped the ski and went over to the beach and let it sit for awhile. Check the oil, was barely on the dipstick (Was normal when I left the dock). Limped back to the dock let it sit overnight and got some oil the next morning. Put in about a quart to get the level back up on the stick and rode it to the ramp. Ran ok on the way to the ramp but noticed it would not pull over 7K RPM. Put her on the trailer checked the oil and level was fine but nasty black but did not smell burnt.

Chapter 2:
    Following Tuesday took her into the dealer (ProPowerSports of Conroe) for it's 75hr check (prepaid maint). Described the issue to the service writer and told him I felt like there was a pretty good chance I gunked up the intercooler. He documented it as part of their checkout. Asked them to save the old plugs.

Got the ski back on Friday about 4pm, with new plugs, oil/filter along with the rest the 75hr. checks. Asked about them checking the intercooler said they "inspected" it but did not indicate they had to flush it. They said it ran fine on the hose. I checked the oil before leaving dealership was clean.
    Put her in the water about 5pm started right up, idled through the no wake zone then crossed the inlet to gas up at the Valero. Opened it up and noticed she wouldn't pull above 7200 RPM. Backed it down gassed it up and then headed back. Exiting the wake zone after filling up it started missing and felt like it was on 3 cyclinders. Limped back to the ramp and called the dealer that I was on the way back to them (they are close to the lake). Tech pulled the dipstick and it showed milk. They will tear into it Tuesday.

It's still under warranty (until end of June) but when I asked them it's covered, right? They said yes as long as they don't find water in the cylinders meaning that I had rolled it which they said would void the warranty. I most certainly didn't roll it (never have). I don't have a deep background on engines but I want to recall that it could be entirely possible that with a blown head gasket there could be water in the cylinder without rolling it. Am I incorrect? I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a major pissing contest. They also indicated Kawasaki would have to come in to validate the warranty claim.
    I'm hoping they get me back on the water soon but they said they had a number of SeaDoo's with blown superchargers that has them backed up.
    Wondering if it's time to look at a 260X (black and green of course).

Glenn

It is possible to have a head gasket make the oil milky but more likely that water ingestion is the problem. You say you were taking tight turns.......did you get any water over the handle bars or in the hull?

David

Yes, over the nose for the most part but next to nothing inside the hull which I check after taking it home after the weekend. I typically pull the seat off and open the nose to let it air out during the week when it's in the garage.

David,
    I'm guessing that given your question that even if the water ingestion took place before the service event the dealer did not take the necessary steps to address it which cause this to happen?.

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TangorZX View Post
    Yes, over the nose for the most part but next to nothing inside the hull which I check after taking it home after the weekend. I typically pull the seat off and open the nose to let it air out during the week when it's in the garage.
    I'm confused on the "water over the handlebars". Can't the ski handle full wake or nose submersion? What's the point of the water box and other components to prevent this?
    BTW, I'm a newbie for the most part

Exsaust gasket leak. I had simular symptoms but not so much oil lost. Milky though. Pull the spark plugs and check for rust or water on those. On the exaust line you have three gaskets change all of them.

we had a problem just like this with a RXP and the problem was leaking intercooler,just my input good luck

Chapter 3

They performed a leakdown test and it shows:

cylinder (1) 137, (2) 115 (3) 90 (4) 127

They indicated diag guidance says more than a 10% variance across all 4 = tear into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TangorZX View Post
    Chapter 3

They performed a leakdown test and it shows:

cylinder (1) 137, (2) 115 (3) 90 (4) 127

They indicated diag guidance says more than a 10% variance across all 4 = tear into it.

Sounds like they did a compression test with the pressures listed.
    A leakdown will tell you a % of the pressure leaking, it will also let you listen for leaks to determine the cause.
    I'm sure they will perform one before tearing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen3Benz View Post
    Sounds like they did a compression test with the pressures listed.
    A leakdown will tell you a % of the pressure leaking, it will also let you listen for leaks to determine the cause.
    I'm sure they will perform one before tearing it down.
    Thanks for education, mechanicals is not clearly not my forte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information