Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Premix question

Premix question

What do you guys use to fill up the gas tank when you go premix? I am used to just pulling up to the gas pump with the trailer and filling up the skis.

Do you have a 15+ gallon container to mix and then funnel the mixture into the gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by kaarona1 View Post
    Do you have a 15+ gallon container to mix and then funnel the mixture into the gas tank?
    You're not serious are you? You can add fuel, then add the appropriate amount of oil necessary based on the amount of gas and what ratio you are running. Between trailering the ski and giving it a couple good shakes after the ski is in the water you will be good to go.

gotcha... Thanks...

+1
    I carry 5 gallon gas cans already pre-mixed, also have water bottles filled w/ oil and put it in the front compartment if i need to fill up on the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    I carry 5 gallon gas cans already pre-mixed, also have water bottles filled w/ oil and put it in the front compartment if i need to fill up on the water.
    Exactly! For premix you get gas based on quantity, not just filling it up at the pump. You will learn based on how much fuel you have left how much you can get in there.

For instance I know that if I'm down to 2 bars on the gauge I can get 10 gallons of gas in the tank. So I put enough oil in for 10 gallons then add the fuel.
    I also carry/fill up a 5 gallon gas can in the truck and use that to top off the tank when I get to the water.
    Use Gatoraide or Vitamin Water bottles to carry oil on the ski. Measure them out to be enough oil in each bottle to cover 5 gallons of fuel.

After awhile you won't even think twice about it...

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Use Gatoraide or Vitamin Water bottles to carry oil on the ski. Measure them out to be enough oil in each bottle to cover 5 gallons of fuel.

After awhile you won't even think twice about it...
    This is a perfect method...

+1
    I would not fill the tank up then add oil. We've already had a local guy stick a piston because the oil did not mix well enough. The right way to do it is to buy a few 5 gallon cans, add oil, add gas, then add that to your tank.

+1
    I always add the oil first. Then the gas. I've done it this way for years, as have others I ride with and never had an issue.

I can see the possibility if you add the gas first then the oil though...

but everyone knows we are a wierd bunch out here in Jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    I would not fill the tank up then add oil. We've already had a local guy stick a piston because the oil did not mix well enough. The right way to do it is to buy a few 5 gallon cans, add oil, add gas, then add that to your tank.
    Ding Ding Ding, The Winner!!!
    That`s exactly how I do it! even give the gas can a little shake if it sits for a little bit between runs... as long as you remember to add oil to the cans, you can`t fck up!

wouldn`t hurt to get a graduated measuring container for mixing oils...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

thanks guys... and Treemoney though I was crazy to ask the quesiton. Seems to be a few different ways people do this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information