Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shredded S-Charger Belt only 2hrs wiv R&D Pulley...

Hi Guys been a while............
    I ran my ski for approx 42 hrs with stock pullley and origional belt from new..until my pump let go...
    So when I re-fitted it I thought I,d go for the R&D Idler pulley...
    Engineering on it looked good so on it wen,t....
    After a very short steady run in ride 15 min I noticed a tiny bit of black grease residue around the S-Charger belt area. Not enough to worry about or so I thought....
    Wen,t out at the weekend and after about another 25 mins started hearing some strange noises and loosing power...
    Got back to bank of lake opened the seat to see the S-Charger belt had exploded.. Bits friggin everywhere......
    Stripped it out tonight and took of the idler pulley bracket and the
    S-Charger cover......
    Firstly the inside of the cover was covered with the same Black Grease seen earlier but this time shit loads of it......
    On checkin the bearing found that it,s totaly shagged too.....
    I checked my SC belt tension between rides too so I know that was not to blame.....
    Thoughts anyone....?????
    Think I may go back to stock....

Banned User
    is it a clean cut? or really shredded?

It looks your belt was not in the line!

I got customer he put some WD-40 around the belt!!

Quote Originally Posted by English Bob View Post
    Hi Guys been a while............
    I ran my ski for approx 42 hrs with stock pullley and origional belt from new..until my pump let go...
    So when I re-fitted it I thought I,d go for the R&D Idler pulley...
    Engineering on it looked good so on it wen,t....
    After a very short steady run in ride 15 min I noticed a tiny bit of black grease residue around the S-Charger belt area. Not enough to worry about or so I thought....
    Wen,t out at the weekend and after about another 25 mins started hearing some strange noises and loosing power...
    Got back to bank of lake opened the seat to see the S-Charger belt had exploded.. Bits friggin everywhere......
    Stripped it out tonight and took of the idler pulley bracket and the
    S-Charger cover......
    Firstly the inside of the cover was covered with the same Black Grease seen earlier but this time shit loads of it......
    On checkin the bearing found that it,s totaly shagged too.....
    I checked my SC belt tension between rides too so I know that was not to blame.....
    Thoughts anyone....?????
    Think I may go back to stock....

Quote Originally Posted by branix View Post
    is it a clean cut? or really shredded?

It looks your belt was not in the line!

I got customer he put some WD-40 around the belt!!
    Hi Branix,... hope ya well buddy...
    Nope belt was deffo in line...
    And shredded made a real mess in the hull....
    Like I said I checked it after 1st ride and it was sweet....
    I can,t help but think that the grease that appears to have come from the bearing in the idler pulley is to blame....
    Also you should see the state of the bearing about 3mm of lateral play in the thing...... It,s toast......!!!
    Anyways WD40 on the belt thats wise......

Banned User
    i am doing good.
    that sucks with the belt

you are not the only one here with r&d wheel and belt problems.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bob View Post
    Hi Branix,... hope ya well buddy...
    Nope belt was deffo in line...
    And shredded made a real mess in the hull....
    Like I said I checked it after 1st ride and it was sweet....
    I can,t help but think that the grease that appears to have come from the bearing in the idler pulley is to blame....
    Also you should see the state of the bearing about 3mm of lateral play in the thing...... It,s toast......!!!
    Anyways WD40 on the belt thats wise......

Question

I actually ArmorAll my belt after every ride
    On a serious note: I am do for my 25 hr service and have done 3 oil changes just to be on the safe side. I switched to Amsoil 10/40 and do not seem to have a GIO issue. Since I am so anal about my oil do u guys think it would be a waste of time to change my SC oil at 25 hrs?? If I do change it any tips? If I bring it in and have them do it what should it run me in terms of $$

English Bob, I have seen some belts shredded . . . possibly do to salt buildip on the belt and Pulley. I know the belt is rubber and salt should not make a difference. But if the salt is "crusting" it could be acting in an abrasive manner. When I am done riding in the ocean if there is even 1 drop of water in the engine area, (1 drop; I am not kidding) I rinse out the entire engine area from the front of the engine all the way aft to the mufflers. Soap and water! That belt and pulley is absolutely spotless when I am done. It is not possible to get it any cleaner. I might be a little anal about this; but with close to 200 hours of "Ultra" under me I have never shredded a belt. Most of those hours have been "pretty stiff on the throttle" so if my keeping that belt area spotless is helping overall belt life . . . I will keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin21 View Post
    I actually ArmorAll my belt after every ride
    On a serious note: I am do for my 25 hr service and have done 3 oil changes just to be on the safe side. I switched to Amsoil 10/40 and do not seem to have a GIO issue. Since I am so anal about my oil do u guys think it would be a waste of time to change my SC oil at 25 hrs?? If I do change it any tips? If I bring it in and have them do it what should it run me in terms of $$
    Only you can answer that question. What risk are you willing to take? Honestly, you should change it yourself. What does the 25 hour service call for? I'd think the oil should be okay. I've never changed my oil. 20 something hours on 2 superchargers.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    English Bob, I have seen some belts shredded . . . possibly do to salt buildip on the belt and Pulley. I know the belt is rubber and salt should not make a difference. But if the salt is "crusting" it could be acting in an abrasive manner. When I am done riding in the ocean if there is even 1 drop of water in the engine area, (1 drop; I am not kidding) I rinse out the entire engine area from the front of the engine all the way aft to the mufflers. Soap and water! That belt and pulley is absolutely spotless when I am done. It is not possible to get it any cleaner. I might be a little anal about this; but with close to 200 hours of "Ultra" under me I have never shredded a belt. Most of those hours have been "pretty stiff on the throttle" so if my keeping that belt area spotless is helping overall belt life . . . I will keep doing it.
    He's not lying. CLeanest Ultra you will EVER see. Not an issue ever. Belton..The MASSTA!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The R&D idler pulley is crap, there have been a few that have seized, I had one do it last week............

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    The R&D idler pulley is crap, there have been a few that have seized, I had one do it last week............
    Has anyone tried Rudy's idler pulley?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin on the Edge View Post
    Has anyone tried Rudy's idler pulley?
    Rudy's idler pulley is the R&D pulley. Im on #2 and only put 6hrs on the ski this season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information