The depths of the south

Question some basic questions 1050 and 780.....

So, I have a couple of Polaris skis. Haven't posted in a long while, though I have spent my share of hours lurking. This is hands down the best PWC group on the net.

Anyhow...two questions:

1) I have a 1050 SLX (1997?) that I managed to toast the motor on last year. Actually the previous owner did most of the toasting I think, I just finished her off. Replaced the engine this winter, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, went to premix, basically did a whole bunch of other stuff over the winter to get thing up and running for the spring. Runs / starts / stops fine, just seems a little sluggish out of the hole. Fine top end, fine acceleration at midrange, no miss at idle or under power, just a little sluggish getting up on plane. Not a big deal, but wanted advice on tuning or investigating ways to improve things. The new motor has a grand total of 5 hours (reasonably light riding) on it. Where should I start? Pull heads and check wash? re-adjust carbs? Basically I set everything to the Polaris service manual settings when I reassembled everything. Advice?

2) 1996? 780SLT. Runs, drives, stops, starts, idles just fine. No current problems on it. Can I pull the heads to check piston wash on it without replacing gaskets? Or do they have to be replaced after this? Any sealant recommended with re-assembly if I re-use the existing gaskets? Should I even check things since everything is performing fine?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
    KC in Georgia.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    Boulder City, NV
    Hey KC, you don't need to pull the heads to check the wash. You can pick up a flexable flash light at Home Depot or a hardware store (circa $8.00) that will fit through the spark plug hole to see the tops of the pistons. You just need the piston at bdc to see the whole dome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2708.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	900.2 KB 
ID:	134597  

The depths of the south

OK, will try to get a light tomorrow or the next day to check things out.

Regardless, is that where I should start with both? Should I even look at the 780, since there are no problems, and have not been any problems? If it aint broken, should I even see if it needs fixin'?
    I will look at the wash on the 1050. $1000.00 dollar parts outlays tend to make you a little more in tune with maintenance!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    I don't know much about the 1050, so i can't comment.

But on the 780, it never hurts to see a potential problem before it becomes one. Check wash periodically. Especially after a long winters nap when fuel passages can become clogged.

That little $8 light can save you $300 in just 5 mins of work.

Thread Information