Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help with MSX 110

Guys,

Over the weekend I picked up a low hour MSX 110 that was in excellent physical shape. During initial inspection the engine compartment was clean, oil was a little below max, the coolant was a little low, and the spark plugs had a nice dry brownish color to them. I filled it with a little coolant, hooked up the flush line, and started the engine without any problem. It idled smooth at 1500 rpm on the trailer so I decided to take it out on the river. Out on the river I let it warm up for about 5 minutes and then began to open her up slowly. Once I reached 6K rpm the check engine light came on and I was limited to 4800rpm but it was easily cleared by stopping and re-starting the ski (I'm thinking overboost, wastegate stuck). I decided to ride it a little more keeping the throttle at around 5500 rpm and maxing at about 30mph. After about 10 minutes of continuous riding the check engine light came on this time with a high temp warning. I tried stopping for 5 minutes and restarting the ski but within 15 seconds of idling the CEL came on with the high temp warning. So I decided to stop for the day and have my buddy tow me in. Tonight I decided to tear out the inter-cooler and see what it looked like. Below are pictures of what I found. Also, the wastegate is seized and I'm working to free it.

Sorry for all of the pictures but I wanted to provide plenty of visual information to help generate some ideas. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I do have an MSX 150 and it rides and runs beautifully. I have standard service scheduled for both skis at the end of this week.

A LOOK INSIDE THE INTERCOOLER INLET

ANOTHER LOOK INSIDE THE INTERCOOLER INLET

CONNECTING TUBE FROM TURBO TO INTERCOOLER

INTERCOOLER OUTLET TO THOTTLE BODY TUBE

TURBO DISCHARGE OUTLET

TURBO DISCHARGE OUTLET CLOSEUP

THROTTLE BODY

INTERCOOLER WATER SEND AND RETURN TUBES

INTERCOOLER SIDE - WATER SEND AND RETURN OUTLETS

SEIZED WASTEGATE (I PUSHED IT DOWN WITH A BOARD AND HAMMER.)

ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Also, I managed to break a plastic barb on the fuel rail and need a new rail. Does anyone have a rail for a 110? Are the 110 and 150 rails the same?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by reg152 View Post
    Also, I managed to break a plastic barb on the fuel rail and need a new rail. Does anyone have a rail for a 110? Are the 110 and 150 rails the same?
    The fuel rail is the same for all Polaris PWC's and sleds equipped with the Weber engine. I have a good condition used one... PM me if you need it.

Since you already have a 150, I assume that you already know to run the engine BEFORE checking the oil level.

My guess is either the previous owner overfilled the oil, at some point...or the ski was flipped, and not corrected in a timely manner, and/or not put through the rollover checklist....

First step is to get the gate freed up!

+1
    I am going to state the obvious. The intercooler has a leak and the corrision is extreme(inside should be clean and glossly). If it is not leaking than the ski was flipped and not cleanned the right way. Looks like the water went into the turbo and the intake. The turbo wheel is probable ate up, boost sensor are dirty,and the waste gate is stuck. You are fixen to spent alot of money on this ski. .
    Last edited by f150vtx; 06-03-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: I was to negative

+1
    Hey fl50,do you ever have anything good to say?
    We appreciate your experience,and would welcome good advice to make repairs. At some point ,bashing Polaris products,turns into bashing curent owners,this will not correct what Polaris did to you.Alot of other people have had a very positive experience with Polaris,and do not appreciate the negative comments.

+1
    I am sorry for blasting Polaris and making anyone piss at me. I hope you looked at the PICS and are looking out for the best interest of this owner. Am I wrong to say-this guy is in for a big repair bill? I am telling the truth and hope anyone that sees these pics will do the same.

I feel that I'm more than mechanically capable to perform any repairs I need to on this engine. I've already put the intercooler in a parts washer to clean it up and then I will pressure test it to check for any leaks. I'll also pull the sensors and check them for oil build up or damage. I pressure tested the cylinders and both are good (141 front / 139 back). Also, when I opened the throttle plate I did not see any evidence of water or oil build up in the intake manifold. Looking at the build up on the turbo outlet does it look like my turbo will need replaced or rebuilt? Like I said..the engine does run very smooth at idle and through 5500 rpm. Thanks again for all of your help.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    Since you already have a 150, I assume that you already know to run the engine BEFORE checking the oil level.

My guess is either the previous owner overfilled the oil, at some point...or the ski was flipped, and not corrected in a timely manner, and/or not put through the rollover checklist....

First step is to get the gate freed up!
    RR,

Besides taking the exhaust manifold apart what would you recommend for trying to un-seize the wastegate? I'm think some penetrating lubricant like PB may work well.

Ryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information