Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the secret to installing circlips?

45 minutes.... finally one clip installed! I've got 13 more to do (7 cylinders total) and sure want them to go faster than the first! I've got a tool to use if they had the small eyes on the end. However, these ProX pistons came with the straight end circlips. WHAT A PAIN!!!

What is the secret to installing these things???

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    practice I'm afraid...I've used hard plastic dowels to help me along at times..installing one end in the piston while it's still on the bench helps too...no chance of it falling into the cases or flying into a crack in the floor

+1
    put one end of it into the groove, take a pair of small nose pliers and grab the end that is sticking out with the very tip of the pliers. hold on tight with the pliers and twist your wrist against the end thats in the groove while slightly push it into the groove. it should just slip in. hold on tight incase it springs out. it helps to line up the pliers with the removal notch. just dont twist it more than you need to to avoid permentantly bending it.

once you get the first one like this it snaps and your like "wow, that was easy." =)

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    Sea Doo has a tool, it works great

Smile

you can start both ends of it in hole 180degrees away from removal slot and then use your thumb to push the back side down and into recess,with some clips that are heavy duty you can start one end in grove then using a flat head screwdriver push the ring around into grove as you go,you hold your thumb over the inserted part and walk it around.I would never let my helpers use a pair of pliers on a new circlip.You do not want to bend or over compress it as it might lose its holding power,>Marvin

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    45 minutes.... finally one clip installed! I've got 13 more to do (7 cylinders total) and sure want them to go faster than the first! I've got a tool to use if they had the small eyes on the end. However, these ProX pistons came with the straight end circlips. WHAT A PAIN!!!

What is the secret to installing these things???
    this tool

what may happen if you try to install with out ,c-clip could get out of round and you stand chance of clip jumping out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010006.JPG 
Views:	2206 
Size:	457.9 KB 
ID:	134699  

+1
    Trust in the tool.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Isn't that tool for removing wrist pins not Cir clips? I thought i seen some pistons that have snap rings to hold the wrist pins in. That would be alot easier, I use small needle nose pliers to get one side started and then use a screw driver to snap the other side in. It's a pain in the ass especially when you stab you hand with the tools.

+1
    SBT uses snap rings. I am not sure how that makes you feel about them but I know it does not give me a warm and fuzzy.

Good point on the tool. It does not look like the circlip installers I have used though it has some similarities. It may be a wrist-pin tool but it does not look like the one in my book as it has a screwshaft on it (I should get one and stop beating the things in).

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pre-install one circlip on the piston before placing on the rod and inserting the pin. Then you only have to wrestle one down in the hull (if this is how you are doing it).

I take a small 1/8" blade screwdriver, install one side by hand, just inside the edge, while the other side angles out. Hold your finger against it, to keep it in place, and use the other hand with the screwdriver blade to slightly compress/lever the other side that is currently popping out. Place the screwdriver blade about 1/4" up from the open end of the circlip. Push it in with your fingernail. Then when the whole circlip is in the hole, slide it into the groove with the screwdriver blade.

You do not want to over-compress the circlip. If you do it will pop out while the piston is traveling up and down close to 7k.

Also rotate the clip so that the opening is at 6 or 12 o'clock, to also prevent it from jumping out. It should fit tightly and snugly in the groove if you did it right. Freespinning circlips need to be removed, rebent, and reinstalled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information