engine won't turn over

Hi, everyone.

I have a 2004 MSX150. The intercooler went bad (sprug a couple of leaks). As the 2004 manual states, The engine had to come out to remove and replace the intercooler.

The trouble with the intercooler popped up at the end of last season, so I beached the ski for winter a little early. I had no trouble getting the engine core out, which I did a week or so later. Some things came up, and I ended up out of town for about four months. Before I left, I made certain the fluids were drained, then I wrapped the engine up in a heavy duty tarp, and stored the engine on a platform off the ground in my garage.

So, I just spent the last week and a half putting the engine back (of course, by that time I'd received my replacement intercooler (don't even get me started on how much THAT cost) and positioned it out of the way to put the engine back . . .

. . . okay, so here's my problem. After reinstalling the engine, and getting it all back together (during which I had no problems), I charged my battery to 100% and tried to start the engine. All I get is a heavy duty clunk, and the red light on the disply began flashing.

I think is the clunking noise is the starter working but for whater reason the engine isn't turning over. The engine was just fine (except for the intercooler) when I took it out. Is it possible that sitting all winter has temporarily seized the motor? I mean, I know it's not mechanically seized--as in ruined--and I wanted to see what everyone's advice might be. I'm leaning toward removing parts until I get to the driveshaft and rotating it by hand in an attempt to loosen what ever is stuck.

Does this sound like a prudent course of action to you guys?

Oh, I also have the fluids back in at the correct levels. That was the first thing I did after reinstalling the engine.

Thanks ahead of time for your consideration of my problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.

+1
    Sounds like your drive line. There is a ommon problem with the original impeller housing growing into the impeller locking everything up solid. Shine a torch up the pump and check to see if there is any clearence around the impeller. My guess is there is not. The replacement part is all stainless not an alloy housing with stainless liner.

Good luck andd keep the dream alive

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Was the jet pump re-installed?

Remove the jet pump, and see if the engine will turn over without the jet pump in place.

And make sure nothing is binding in the drive shaft coupler behind the engine.

Problem Moved to "Stuck Impeller"

Thanks for the input. Whoever reads this, please go to a thread entitled "Stuck impeller" under Matrix/MSX section. I still meed help with the stuck impeller, but not the engine tunring over.

So this thread is essentially close, but I don't know if I have to do anything to declaire a thread closed.
    Thanks.
    FLN

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenovelist View Post
    Thanks for the input. Whoever reads this, please go to a thread entitled "Stuck impeller" under Matrix/MSX section.

I still meed help with the stuck impeller, but not the engine turning over.

So this thread is essentially closed, but I don't know if I have to do anything to declare a thread closed.
    Thanks.
    FLN
    You have done more than many.

Much appreciate your effort to keep things tidy

Thread Information