Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile new guy with a 99 spx

Hey guys whats up, I'm new here, my name's Brandon and I have a stock 1999 SPX. We have two - the other is my brother's. I'm not really looking to keep my ski stock, but I don't have that much money (unfortunately) to spend on mods. So yeah, here are a few pictures from today and yesterday. This is Bull Shoals Lake in southern Missouri and Arkansas.

And the first picture, I'm actually riding my bro's, it says BBB on the back (his initials) and in the last picture, my sea doo says mavrick on the back. yes, I know it's spelled wrong, but I saw Top Gun when I was pretty little and it was my nickname since then, but I didn't know how to spell it correctly, so it just stayed that way.

Brandon

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    keep it stock, and enjoy man! nice air off the wake BTW...

+1
    That is one of the best looking boats SD ever made. I need to get one some day to complete my collection.

Put some Prok open flame arrestors on it and re-jet the carbs and that is about all I would do to it.

Well, some Gator Grip mats too, of course.

If the fuel lines are gray you will want to replace them and clean the fuel system out. Read the sticky thread above about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Creek 002.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	134680  

yeah i took that big ugly heavy air box out so hopefully it sucks in more air, but i wanna get those flame arrestors pretty soon. and same with the carb jets. and i read that thread/post on the fuel lines which i think ill be doing, but i have the grey stuff and it doesnt bog down much at all - ill still do it just to be sure. mats is a for-sure. my friend has a 97 spx with hydroturf and you get so much more traction on that stuff.

and thanks mongorunner! thats usually how i roll

Quote Originally Posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
    yeah i took that big ugly heavy air box out so hopefully it sucks in more air, but i wanna get those flame arrestors pretty soon. and same with the carb jets. and i read that thread/post on the fuel lines which i think ill be doing, but i have the grey stuff and it doesnt bog down much at all - ill still do it just to be sure. mats is a for-sure. my friend has a 97 spx with hydroturf and you get so much more traction on that stuff.

and thanks mongorunner! thats usually how i roll
    You better listen to the above recomendation and change those fuel lines and clean the carbs,if it has greay fuel lines still,there is a bunch of sticky goop plugging up at least 1/2 of your fuel inlet screen in each mikuni carb.there is no filter before the carb filters that will remove the sloughing from the inside of grey fuel line coming from the front fuel filter to the carbs.If its not already running lean either from you removing airbox and not re-jetting or adjusting carbs,it will be from the fuel lines,and you'll burn a piston or two!!!!here look at these pictures if you think grey lines are ok for now,this is from a 1999 ski with 45 hrs>Marvin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000627 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	134690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000659 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	134691  

so i guess since my ski is out of the water for a few days anyway, i should definitely replace the fuel lines. and i should also adjust the jets because i took the air box off? also, we've had these things basically since they came from the dealer (other family had them before us), and i havent looked in the lines, but i'm guessing from ten years of running, they'll be pretty clogged. i'll go look right now!

+1
    The box does not do the restricting, it is that screen on there. Now, DO NOT remove that screen unless you re-jet the carbs. Flame arrestors are not as vulnerable due to the design.

In other words, you might as well keep the box on there and keep the water out of the carbs (lots of water flying around when jumping). If you run it with the screen off and stock jets (more importantly, stock needle/seat and spring) you run the chance of being lean. It can cost you.

There is no adjustment for a change in the intake flow like that. You will need different size jets and a larger needle/seat and the right spring to give you the correct pop/off pressure.

Best bet, wait until you get the flame arrestors and a jet kit is to leave it stock and safe.

Alright thanks for that clarification. I'll put the box back on when it goes back in. My black plastic has a lot of white calcium deposits on it. Is there an easy way to get all that crap off of there?

and another thing about the fuel line replacement. before i do anything to my ski, i have to pass it through the big guy (dad) and he was under the impression that you needed to totally rebuild the carbs when you replaced the fuel line. and with that thinking, he said we'd do it at the end of the season and he said we'd just buy new carbs (i have no idea why, the ones on there are perfectly fine). anyway, is he right or totally wrong? and obviously if you take the carbs off, you need to replace the gaskets, right?

thanks for the help, it's very helpful. lol

+1
    He is right and wrong.

You can clean the carbs out but it is better to get the rebuild kits (use Mikuni kits, the cheap stuff is crap, IMO).

There is no need to buy new carbs if those are in good condition (not corroded up and such). There is no need for aftermarket carbs if there has not been significant modifications made to the engine.

He is wrong in assuming that you can ride it a season with a suspect fuel system. The chances are that you will be rebuilding more than just the carbs this winter.

If it goes lean, it WILL die (sieze/burn a hole in the piston/spin a ring, take your pick). You can take that to the bank.

Of course, it may run fine and have no problems all season. How lucky do you feel?

I feel like it's a chance that is not necessary to take..would blowing out the lines be good until i can get that rebuild kit?

basically what i'm looking at is getting two Mikuni 38/44/46 BN Round Body Carb Rebuild Kits now, change the fuel lines now, and if i want to change the jetting and get prok air filters do that now, or i can get those rebuild kits now and do that but if i got the jets and air filters at the end of the season, i'd need another pair of the carb rebuild kits right?

and this is where i was looking at the rebuild kit:
    http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/jetting.htm

sorry if all that doesnt make sense, it made sense when i was typing it

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information