Thread: Solenoid wiring

Solenoid wiring

Okay, I admitt it, I'm getting older--DAMN! I wouldn't have had this problem if I were still twenty. (Heavy, sustained sigh)

Anyway, during the process of removing the engine from my MSX150 last year, I failed to note the wiring for each posts of the solenoid. My engine is back in with no problems, but last night I read a few posts on here about incorrectly wired solenoids, bateries, ECUs . . . well, you get it. The results of theses errors scared the hell out of me.

I have my manual, of course, but I've never been very good about reading them. Seeing the same thing noted on different schematic pages for different things confuses the &%^# out of me.

Anyone have a picture to post, or a detailed diagram of a wired solenoid on an MSX150?

I have the starter wired correctly, and the two-wire plug in is impossible to put in backwards. I pulled the plugs and made certain the starter works. It's the other wires that go on one post or the other that I'm having problems with.

Thanks a million.

Man, do I need it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Looking at the wiring diagram, you should have two heavy cables (red, I would expect), and one smaller cable, with a loop end on it (also red, I would expect).

The battery negative connects to the engine ground (with a black cable), and does not go near the start solenoid. Make sure this is correct first.

Then disconnect the battery negative post while you hook up the positive wires.

The battery positive cable goes to one of the heavy terminal studs on the solenoid. It does not matter which. On the same terminal, also goes the thinner red wire. Put the nut on and snug it down.

The other heavy cable is for the starter motor, and it goes on the other solenoid terminal stud, all by itself. The other end of this cable should go directly to the starter motor.

The important thing is to make sure the battery negative is connected to ground. If that is correct, you can not do serious damage to the electrics, even if you get the red wires connected to the solenoid wrong.

Solenoid Wiring

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I understand exactly what you said; and that's pretty much how I had it-- with one exception. There are TWO smaller red wires with connection loops rather than one, for a total of two heavy wires and two thin wires.

According to what you wrote, the starter cable goes all by itself on one terminal post, while the other two wires (the heavy battery cable and the small red wire with a connection loop) go on the other solenoid post.

It seems reasonable to assume that the fourth smaller wire with a terminal loop goes with the others (battery and small red wire with a loop) on the non-starter cable post. That would make three wires on one solenoid post and one wire (starter cable) on the the other post all by itself

Any reason I shouldn't put the fourth wire on the battery cable side?

Oh, one additional question. A black ground cable runs from the battery's negative post to engine ground. There is also a second black cable with a grounding loop. I know that at least one of these wires goes to a grounding post on the bottom rear side of the intake manifold. But the service manual shows the grounding point on top of the bracket behind oil tank. This is a little confusing, especially since the threaded hole that receives the grounding bolt is still powdercoated, as if had never had a bolt there at all. All this seems to be telling me that I should put both grounding cables on the intake side post.

Same basic question as above: Any reason I shouldn't put the two ground wires together and bolt them both to the intake post?

Thanks again for your time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenovelist View Post
    ...There are TWO smaller red wires with connection loops rather than one, for a total of two heavy wires and two thin wires.

...It seems reasonable to assume that the fourth smaller wire with a terminal loop goes with the others (battery and small red wire with a loop) on the non-starter cable post. That would make three wires on one solenoid post and one wire (starter cable) on the other post all by itself

Any reason I shouldn't put the fourth wire on the battery cable side?...
    Make sense to me that both small red wires would go to the same post as the battery positive.

The other solenoid post only has power when the engine is actually cranking. I cannot think of any reason for a small wire to be connected there.

I can't comment on the ground wire locations, as I don't know the answer.

BTW, looking at the 2004 MSX 150 service manual, the wiring diagram is terrible! Not easy to follow, that is for sure.

+1
    From Memory the black smaller black wire is the ground for the computer and is bolted to the post on the intake manifold along with the main earth lead to the battery.

The two smaller red wires both go with the main positive battery lead on the starter solenoid post. The other side goes to the starter motor.
    One on the small red wires is the positive feed to computer and relay box. The other small red wire runs up to the start run switch.

Cheers

Thread Information