Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone else's pump shoe sit crooked?

The pump shoe on my 07 1300 sits higher up in the hull than the other - loose nickel (.08?) on one side and not quite a nickel (.065-.07) on the other. I am guessing that thats how it came from Yamaha. I dont know if its because of this but it seems like the ski pulls a tad to the right (the side where it sits up higher.

I have everything apart and ready to seal the shoe, but have been holding off to see what you guys have to say and if I need to try sanding the side that hangs lower. Would this put extra stress on the intake grate/intake grate bolts?

Thanks.

+1
    Sounds like you need to "center" the shoe so that both sides measure up the same. Is the shoe alreay glued in?

I was holding off on putting it in until I got some info on this.

I'd say that the shoe is pretty centered. I did the tunnel reinforcement before sealing the shoe and the alignment on the holes was a bit off compared to factory so I elongated the holes a bit and have been using the stock intake grate for alignment (I've got it all the way back in the shoe, centered, and the shoe/grate pushed back as far as the 2 front grate bolts will allow.)

I'd say that its MAYBE biased a bit to the side that sits up higher in the hull, but its a very small amount if any.

It seems like others have experienced this as well. Here's a thread in which I was trying to get some input - http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261519

Maybe I posted this in the wrong section?

I was hoping to get the shoe sealed tomorrow so I can ride this weekend. I shouldn't have taken the black foam off of the shoe yet

Can anyone let me know what my best option is?

I need to seal the shoe tomorrow...

+1
    Install the shoe dry,align it so both sides have close to the same #'s. Every shoe is not going to be perfect. If you are only .002-.003 off,your starting to split hairs. Bolt stock grate up and check alignment.Make sure plugs are ground down when fitting the shoe dry for final measurments before gluing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    Can anyone let me know what my best option is?

I need to seal the shoe tomorrow...
    Grind on the shoe, not the hull. Take a 4" grinder with a 36-40 grit flapper wheel and take it down on the mounting surface. Use a straight edge on the shoe to make sure the mounting surface is flat. Do a few dry fits to get the desired recess. Tape the shoe and hull, then use a sharpe to make alignment marks, so that you go back in the same place with the 5200 applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0038.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	134825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0037.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	400.9 KB 
ID:	134826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0039.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	134827  

Ok, thanks guys. I did some sanding to it with 100 grit, but I doubt that did much. I'll get some higher grit tomorrow and go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Install the shoe dry,align it so both sides have close to the same #'s. Every shoe is not going to be perfect. If you are only .002-.003 off,your starting to split hairs. Bolt stock grate up and check alignment.Make sure plugs are ground down when fitting the shoe dry for final measurements before gluing.
    I've been dry installing the shoe with the grate bolted up, pushed all the way back in the shoe, and I push the grate/shoe back as far as the front grate bolts will allow, then snug and torque the bolts one by one. When I do the "wet" install, I remove the grate after torquing the shoe bolts to clean up any excess silicone.

I've ground the PPK to be even or lower than the shoe mounting surface so thats not it. The difference in height is not visible, IMO, even when viewing the shoe from the back and comparing to the ride plate, but once I put up the straight edge and nickel, its apparent.

I've noticed that the stock grate is fairly flexible - perhaps to compensate for such variations?

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    it's flexible because it is weak and made cheap. I recommend an aftermarket grate.

I don't know if someone sprinkled greenhulk fairy dust on my ski, but the shoe fits much nicer than yesterday. The clearence difference is pretty minimal and the front grate mount seems to sit straight and even with just the shoe bolted down. I'm not gonna bother sanding it down. I'll get to gluing it down this afternoon

Thanks again WFO and Woody, you guys are helpful as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    it's flexible because it is weak and made cheap. I recommend an aftermarket grate.
    I've got a R/D 1200 sitting on the shelf..

It has like 50 hrs on it from the other ski so I've been nervous to use it. I'll probably put it on after I seal the shoe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information