Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NEWB looking to buy his first ski needs advice.

im looking to buy my first ski at 20 years of age. these r the two im looking at.

http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/1162471086.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1196897157.html

i just want something reliable that i wont have to do any major work to in a few seasons. something that wont die on me in the middle of the river or ocean. and something i can putt around on and have fun.

any advice would be greatly appreciated thx guys

polaris has 95 hp and the seadoo has 85

if it were me i would choose the polaris only cuss im here and there is more 780 parts than you can shake a stick at ,

plus it looks better ,

compare the hours , for 1000-2000 $ skis your prolly gonna run in to problems prolly on the ramp not in the middle of the lake

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

If you decide on the Polaris, you can find the Polaris service manuals here.

With any used PWC, there is the real possibility of something failing after you buy it. How expensive that failure is, is hard to predict.

The machines you are looking at are 12 years old, or older. At that age, everything needs to be checked. Assume nothing.

If you take the time to go over the machine from bow to stern, and pay particular attention to the fuel system and the engine, then you can detect and avoid many of the common problems. This applies to all brands and models.

Here is a Basic Introduction to buying a used PWC.

With any brand of these 2-stroke PWC, the engine will not tolerate carburetors and fuel systems that are not working 100%

If the carbs have become gummed up or dirty over time, the engine can seem to be running just fine, but actually it is about to fail, in an expensive way. It is called lean piston burn, and it can melt holes right through the pistons.

Also read up on the problem with the gray Tempo fuel hoses that were used by the factories on many PWC.

Click here for other common issues regarding the Fuji engined Polaris PWC (Polaris 650, 750, 780 engines)

One good thing is that the Green Hulk forums are the best places on the web for support and help.

For Polaris PWC this is the place to be

The Yamaha and Sea-Doo forums are also good places.

Every brand has its strong and weak models. Some have engine reliability issues, others have certain ride characteristics that people don't like (tippy handling, or a wet ride).

Are you familiar with PWC riding, and the models you are considering?

to be honest i have never even been on one. so i wouldnt know any better lol, im a super newb. i just want something fun and reliable. that will last at least 2 seasons without catastrophic failure. im 20 years old, and a novice auto mechanic so i can wrench a lil. i have just always seen pwc's on the river and at the beach and always wished it was me riding it. so i have a few extra $$ so i figured i'd try to pick one up this season. i just want something reliable. i like that polaris 780 a lot but no working guage cluster and some chips in the gel coat. that dosent sound to good. does that make it not worth it? he said it has only been inf resh water so thats a plus. it looks real clean for a 97. the 96 GTI has been in salt water and he said (it might need a tune up fresh plugs and fresh gas) so that sounds iffy to me right there. idn i just want something reliable im not looking to go 80mph just something that will feel fast for me, a beginner, and something that will be hopefully reliable.

i read on seadooforums.com that to check the impeller with a flashlight, check the steering, and check the motor mounts. and also give it a compression test but im not too sure how to do it on those.

+1
    Well...

See if you can connect with some Green Hulk members in your area. Try searching through the members list, or look in the Local rides section.

You really should try to get some seat time on a few different models, as they do ride and handle differently!

Read through the Basic Introduction to buying a used PWC material.

If you can connect with some more knowledgeable PWC owners, they are often happy to help out, and point you in the right direction.

Also learn about the rules of the water, and marine safety. Get your boating certificate. It will help you make friends with the marine police, should they happen to find you on the water and decide to have a 'chat'.

Even on a smooth river, you can get yourself in a lot of trouble in a real hurry if your don't know what you are doing. Running into something, or hurting yourself, or getting stranded - these are stories we don't want to hear.

yea exactly, something like that would be very scary. ima check out those links thx a lot!

btw u guys got a great site going here!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12 View Post
    yea exactly, something like that would be very scary...
    BTW, can you swim?

Part of the fun of these machines is the occasional unexpected swimming practice...

There is lots of good beginner info around here. Spend some quality time searching, and reading

~ BASIC RULES To Personal Watercraft ~

There is a lot of common sense to be found in the High Performance Watercraft Safety forum.

from a newbe myself,I kinda fell into Polaris and the more I look at skis these day Polaris is the best looking.. Why did they ever stop making them is beyond me and you always want to look good on your ski..Cya Slick

well i went and looked at the 1996 seadoo GTI 720 today. thing was pretty mint to me (but i kno jack shit) impeller didnt have many nicks or scratches (if any), motor mounts were solid, thing startes right up and had good throttle. i didnt get to do a compression test, and the guy had the thing out there and ready so i dn if he had the thing running b4 to get it to start right away. the hull looked good not a lot of scratches or nicks and nothing deep at all. the only thing was the steering. now how "tight" or "loose" should the steering be? it seemed pretty loose except when u turned it hard right u could feel a bit of resistance, but no resistance if u turned it to the left. he said it might need new or cleaned carbs and plugs and fresh gas. it has seen salt water, it has been always garaged kept. he asking $1200 but said he'd take $1100 a lil out of my price range but i dn

so what do u guys think? should i try to do a compression test and ask for a test drive? anything else i should/can do? gimme any info/opinion u can!

also ima try to arrange a meet up time to drive 2 hours north and look at that polaris this or next week, he said he'd take $950 for that one, but he said the guage cluster dosent work and there r chips in the gelcoat. the seadoo is only 20 min from my house the polaris is a good 2 hours so i want to make sure i kno what to look for when i go look at that one. should i not even bother since the guage cluser is busted? or is that not a big deal?

thx again guys tony

Edit: oh also how hard is it and how expensive is it to swap or clean the carbs on these? is it something i could prolly do on my own for not much $$? thx again

i agree the polaris is a much better looking ski slick but i'd rather have a dependable ski then a looker but thats just my opinion... but both would ne nice

+1
    Did you download and read the Basic Introduction article?

Carbs are not that hard to rebuild. Takes longer the first time, but once you have done a set, it isn't that big a deal. Just work carefully, don't skip steps, and work in a clean and organized manner.

Here is a Mikuni carburetor rebuild guide, to give you an idea what is involved.

If you can, your best option is to connect with someone who already has experience with 2-stroke PWC, of any brand.

While it is true that many (all?) of these older machines do need a carb rebuild, and a good battery, it is also true that if it does need a carb rebuild, it can mask other problems with the engine.

The engine may not run right because of the bad carbs, or the problem could be something else, or there could be several problems, the carbs being just one of them...

Dirty or gummed up carbs can also burn down a piston in very short order, so even a short test ride at full throttle could damage the engine. Might not, but you won't know until it happens...

So the way you evaluate the machine without actually riding it is to check a lot of other things, like cylinder compression, crank shaft and connecting rod slop, the way it sounds when it revs out of the water, etc.

This is why someone who knows what the machine is supposed to run like, and look like, is invaluable.

Don't worry about missing out on this 'good deal' or the next one, there is almost always another machine for sale somewhere

Unless you know what you are looking for, and looking at, it is easy to miss clues to problems, and end up spending more money on repairs than you expected.

Have you searched the Green Hulk member listing to see if there is a group or members nearby?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information