Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Video editing software tread

I've noticed that more and more forum members are starting to make short films of some of their rides. I think its great that we can share with other forum members some of our little adventures and memorable moments. What I haven't noticed is anyone talking about their video editing software. Id like to hear from you guys about the software you are using. Was it a free download? Have you had the chance to compare it to other software. Are you having issues with your software? Maybe we can get some people to post some samples of their work on this tread even if its links to other videos already posted. Please include the software you are using, what video camera was used and whatever else you want to add. That way the info. can be used as a comparison with other forum members hardware/software and hopefully help someone on their decision to either purchase a editing software or purchase a video recorder.

+1
    I dont edit vids but a friend of mine is going to school to be a director or something. Anyways he uses a program called final cut, supposed to be really good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I've noticed that more and more forum members are starting to make short films of some of their rides. I think its great that we can share with other forum members some of our little adventures and memorable moments. What I haven't noticed is anyone talking about their video editing software. Id like to hear from you guys about the software you are using. Was it a free download? Have you had the chance to compare it to other software. Are you having issues with your software? Maybe we can get some people to post some samples of their work on this tread even if its links to other videos already posted. Please include the software you are using, what video camera was used and whatever else you want to add. That way the info. can be used as a comparison with other forum members hardware/software and hopefully help someone on their decision to either purchase a editing software or purchase a video recorder.
    I am also curious as I have a few videos that I would like to edit and put together as one. I've seen some pretty cool vids people on here have done.

+1

Hard to beat Adobe Premiere

Some background - Most editing of video/film footage was done on using the technique of "A/B roll editing". You put your raw footage one on tape deck and essentially sent it to a recording deck to make a piece. It was "linear", that is you laid down the info in the sequence it was to be played back in.
    A huge limitation is what happens if you want to insert or change.......start over. Special effects? Hire Speilberg!

Non Linear Editing allows you to put video clips on a time line in a software package. You can manipulate them any way you want. Left and Right on the time line is......video piece. You can put many "tracks" or elements on
    horizontal time lines. At any one point on the time line the elements that are vertical will display. That's how you do all sorts of creative things.

Apple computers do their early adoption of a graphical user interface (GUI) enabled some of the early NLE (non linear editing) companies to get started. Avid was one of the first and quickly dominated professional edit bays at post production houses. The product consisted of specialized capture cards (to convert video and film into digital files the computer could manipulate) and software to create the final product.

Learning curves are quite steep to really utilize all the features of modern pro and semi pro NLE software. Adobe Premiere has been around a long time and is a proven platform. You can start with it and never out grow it. If you invest the substantial time necessary to create good videos I think it pays to have a decent tool set. Final Cut Pro gets good reviews, I think it's just for the Mac platform.

I've cut and edited most of my pieces on Adobe Premiere. You can see it on our video links on the www.soflariders.net website.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie..._FP2_PR_CS4_MN

Adobe offers educational discounts, you have to prove the student status, but not too hard.

I've been shooting and editing video for 25 years and never would have believed that my $200,000+ editing system would be surpassed by a home computer and software I bought from Amazon! Over the years, I've used AVID, Media 100 and Final Cut Pro. Their all great, not cheap, not easy to learn but very powerful. Just started learning Premiere and been having trouble getting through the somewhat vague instructions. Learning the basics was very easy, but getting into the higher end stuff has been a challenge.

I just bought Adobe Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements bundled together for $100 and installed it in my 2.8 ghz dual processor desktop with 2 gig of ram. My camera is a Sony miniDV (standard def) and I load it into the computer on a firewire connection.

Video editing is processor and memory intensive. Your computer will need lots of hard drive space and as much memory as you can cram into it. Don't forget a backup drive and a DVD or Blu-ray burner for export.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    I just use the Imovie that comes with all macs, about 85% of all the video you see on tv or the movies is done on a mac in final cut,,Hell even those microsoft "we will buy you a computer if you can find it" ads are made on a mac LOL

been editing/shooting for over 30 years. 1 emmy. Don't know syit.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    I will get Final Cut someday but as of right now use Sony Vegas Pro. Very nice software.

My Cyberlink Director7 software is killing me, this shit makes my computer crash big time even after turning of the virus software and turning off a hole bunch of shit from my start up menu. I'm going to puta tread in their forum to see if someone can resolve this issue for me, or I'll have to get another program.

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    I have had good luck with the Pinacle software. I added sound effects and music to the background audio. Decent transitions and titles. You can also do a green screen with it. I made my son look like he just finished a down hill ski race. It's not as good as some of the others, but easy to learn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information