Question Supercharger Sound but No SC

I have an 03 Wake Edition with 140 hours. At 100 hours, pump seal(s) were replaced, coolant replaced and other std service by certified tech. After oil (Seadoo Synthetic),filter and sparkplugs changed this spring, first time out had a problem. At about 3000rpm, a whining similar to a SC or helical gears meshing becomes increasingly loud. Accelerated one time to max and jumped to 59 indicated but the RPMs went above 7300 limited to 7500, first time I've seen this. I immediately cut it back and trailered it. No diagnostic displays on instrumentation. Starts easily, idle to 3000 (no wake speed) no issues. Advice is appreciated.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I have an 03 Wake Edition with 140 hours. At 100 hours, pump seal(s) were replaced, coolant replaced and other std service by certified tech. After oil (Seadoo Synthetic),filter and sparkplugs changed this spring, first time out had a problem. At about 3000rpm, a whining similar to a SC or helical gears meshing becomes increasingly loud. Accelerated one time to max and jumped to 59 indicated but the RPMs went above 7300 limited to 7500, first time I've seen this. I immediately cut it back and trailered it. No diagnostic displays on instrumentation. Starts easily, idle to 3000 (no wake speed) no issues. Advice is appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum...

The '03 Wake doesn't have an SC does it? If it doesn't, I would suspect something in the pump since it was just rebuilt. I would pull the pump and check the shaft for looseness and and the impeller for binding. Also, never use Sea Doo synthetic oil in an SC engine... Ron

+1
    My guess is also something with the jet pump. Something could be barely lodged in there or your alignment could be off for a number of reasons.

+1
    The only other thing I can think of would be if the starter sprag gear didd'nt return and is stuck spinning with the flywheel.

Thanks for the welcome and advice

No the 03 Wake doesn't have a SC. I've been using the Seadoo Synthic since the first oil change. Hopefully, it's good oil for non SC engines. I use Amsoil 20 50 in my VTwin MC, but I don't know if they make marine oil.

I will check what I can this evening and hope it's some debres or something. The alignment I'll leave to the shop.

Thread Information