Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

SHO and FZR Steering Nozzle - It's Round !

I just don't understand why Yamaha made the SHO and FZR steering nozzles oval. This is one of those items that just makes no sense to me.

In testing, by using the correct diameter "round" nozzle, there is a small speed gain to be had and the trim control becomes more responsive.

I have been able to make a round nozzle by taking a stock nozzle and machining it to accept a round insert. The insert is machined to provide the proper interference fit, then inserted into the nozzle. The inner surface is then machined to provide a round opening that tapers down to the proper diameter at the exit. The finished part is of very high quaility.

The stock nozzle length is maintained because testing has shown this is the ideal lenght to balances off speed with handling.

I have made up a couple of these nozzles for sale and I have listed them in the classified section. If there is enough interet I can make more and possibly see if Jerry would add them to his store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02831.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	134870  

How about letting Jerry test one on his FZR? Then we can see the results prior to purchasing the item... Also how much are they?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krenzema View Post
    How about letting Jerry test one on his FZR? Then we can see the results prior to purchasing the item... Also how much are they?
    +1....and ur a week late....as i just purchased the R&D nozzle........ Lookin forward to testing it within the next couple of days.....

Glad you saw gains.....i love when i see people take the initiative to do their own mods....

+1
    It has already been tested on a FZR by an experienced forum member and he saw a .3 mph gain and improved trim control.
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 04-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.

+1
    What is the new ID...90mm? I had one bored to 92mm round for use on my GPR, but it had much more "play" than the OEM when I tried it on the SHO because it was too big for the 83mm exit nozzle. The round nozzle did make the steering MUCH better. I was actually able to make the ski powerslide with a flick of the bars. My guess is they made it oval, 90h to improve trim response & 87w to eliminate play in the steering. Also, what was the reason for using the insert instead of just boring it?

I just slam the sides of mine against the driveway and pray it's round enough

+1
    you want it less than 90 - ideally it should be 88 / 89

the reason for the insert is to get the diameter down to where it needs to be when using the 83 mm pump nozzle

I have them priced at $99
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 04-10-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    What is the new ID...90mm? I had one bored to 92mm round for use on my GPR, but it had much more "play" than the OEM when I tried it on the SHO because it was too big for the 83mm exit nozzle. The round nozzle did make the steering MUCH better. I was actually able to make the ski powerslide with a flick of the bars. My guess is they made it oval, 90h to improve trim response & 87w to eliminate play in the steering. Also, what was the reason for using the insert instead of just boring it?
    I dont have a caliper...but the R&D looks to be 94-96mm ID....and its round...

Sry...im using a crappy old tape measure.....

+1
    R&D historically have made their nozzles with an inner diameter that was too large.

That is why with the GPR the Protec nozzle became the nozzle of choice. Protec had the right inner diameter for the GPR 85 and 87 mm nozzles. But nothing is perfect, they made their nozzles too long so most people would then cut them back.

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    R&D historically have made their nozzles with an inner diameter that was too large.

That is why with the GPR the Protec nozzle became the nozzle of choice. Protec had the right inner diameter for the GPR 85 and 87 mm nozzles. But nothing is perfect, they made their nozzles too long so most people would then cut them back.
    Good stuff Phil...waitin to hear back from Jerry on the results....

Again...strong work.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information