Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

lubed my steering cable!!

ok first i gotta say i have no pics of this!!!
    but it worked awesome.
    every spring my steering cable has been tight, in my GTX and my xpdi.
    trying to squirt wd40 on them gets them a tiny bit lubed and the y work free.
    well this year they were just staying tight

normally if you remove the steering cable from the ski, and hang it vertically, you can slip a small diameter hose over the top of the shaft, clamp it around the sheath, and fill it with penetrant or wd40, and within 24-48 hrs oil seeps in and frees up the cable.
    well i didnt feel like removing my steering cable, mainly cuz the XPDI is a byotch!!!!
    so i unhooked the cable from the linkage under the handlebars.
    removed all adjusters nuts spacers so it was just bare cable and sheath.
    then i cut a peice of radiator hose about 2 ft in length. it wasnt to big in diameter. with a small section of rubber hose as a spacer, i clamped tightly the radiator hose to the sheath.
    on the other end of the radiator hose i adapted and clamped to an air compressor hose.
    so once i felt all connections would be secure, i filled the 2 ft of radiator hose with PBblaster,
    clamped the top of the hose to the compressor line.
    then turned on the compressor.
    pumped it up to about 30 psi.
    and immediately started turning the sterring nozzle at the back of the ski back and forth.
    withina few seconds,
    oil and air was spitting out!!!
    it got loose almost immediately.
    continued to add more air as the pressure dropped till all the oil had been pushed thru. waited an hour or so for the blaster to do its penetrating work.
    added more oil and did it again.
    this time it flooded thru pretty easily.

final time i used 30 weight oil, usually what we use to lube our chainsaw, pretty thick stuff. again filled up the radiator hose.
    this time it took about 50 psi to push the oil in!!!
    but it went, and with some turning back and forth on the steering nozzle, within 20 seconds 30 wt oil was oozing out of the cable by the pump
    i think the 30 wt. will act as a good barrier to any water getting up inside from now on, and cable is smooth and loose!!!!
    so my technique worked like charm!

+1

Thumbs up

Excellent job!!!!=d>

+1
    oh, my observation on the steering cable...
    there is a 6 inch hollow tube on the end of the sheath that covers the actual inner cable, its is crimped onto the base of the sheath and not removable. al it does is completely prevent you from getting any wd40 or lube, up into the actual sheath.
    basically it acts as a stiffening tube over the cable rods on the ends of the steering cable so they dont kink or flex.
    but they totally kill any chance of actually lubing the cable. as apart of casual maintenance.
    my radiator hose went over this hollow tube and actually clamped to the outside of the plastic sheath. so oils could go down the hollow tube and enter the actual cable down at the base.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    ok first i gotta say i have no pics of this!!!
    but it worked awesome.
    every spring my steering cable has been tight, in my GTX and my xpdi.
    trying to squirt wd40 on them gets them a tiny bit lubed and the y work free.
    well this year they were just staying tight

normally if you remove the steering cable from the ski, and hang it vertically, you can slip a small diameter hose over the top of the shaft, clamp it around the sheath, and fill it with penetrant or wd40, and within 24-48 hrs oil seeps in and frees up the cable.
    well i didnt feel like removing my steering cable, mainly cuz the XPDI is a byotch!!!!
    so i unhooked the cable from the linkage under the handlebars.
    removed all adjusters nuts spacers so it was just bare cable and sheath.
    then i cut a peice of radiator hose about 2 ft in length. it wasnt to big in diameter. with a small section of rubber hose as a spacer, i clamped tightly the radiator hose to the sheath.
    on the other end of the radiator hose i adapted and clamped to an air compressor hose.
    so once i felt all connections would be secure, i filled the 2 ft of radiator hose with PBblaster,
    clamped the top of the hose to the compressor line.
    then turned on the compressor.
    pumped it up to about 30 psi.
    and immediately started turning the sterring nozzle at the back of the ski back and forth.
    withina few seconds,
    oil and air was spitting out!!!
    it got loose almost immediately.
    continued to add more air as the pressure dropped till all the oil had been pushed thru. waited an hour or so for the blaster to do its penetrating work.
    added more oil and did it again.
    this time it flooded thru pretty easily.

final time i used 30 weight oil, usually what we use to lube our chainsaw, pretty thick stuff. again filled up the radiator hose.
    this time it took about 50 psi to push the oil in!!!
    but it went, and with some turning back and forth on the steering nozzle, within 20 seconds 30 wt oil was oozing out of the cable by the pump
    i think the 30 wt. will act as a good barrier to any water getting up inside from now on, and cable is smooth and loose!!!!
    so my technique worked like charm!

Thats awesome. Its funny how all of the see doo cables from 96 and older diddnt have this problem. It seems all the newer ones are'nt as good and tend to get stiff.

+1
    I can already feel the cable on my wife's 2006 getting a bit rough, not bad, but I need to address it

+1
    Yes you should address your wife.

+1
    BWAAAAAAA!!!

+1
    yes you know every year mine were frozen, but would sudedenly break loose if i put a little force on the handle bars, then be ok for the season.
    i heard thats actaully salt crystals bound up in the first few inches fo the cable, so spraying water with the garden hose up the end of the cable will help that type of crystalized frozen cable. or getting it a bit loose and then putting it in the water to melt the remaining crystals...

but this yr it was hard and tight even after the intitial unsticking.
    had to figure out a way to really flush and lube the cable.
    i think i recally GP over at PPG actaully talkin about being able to somehow get a grease gun to pump grease into either end of a new cable to seal it from water intrusion.
    i havent figured out a way to do that but i bet it would work good.
    my 30 wt oil thru the whole cable should give pretty good protection too.
    when i pumped the hose up to 50 psi it was ballooning like a innertube, kinda scary, but it didnt blow.
    it was radiator hose , so that stuff is rated to take some pressure!!!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    yes you know every year mine were frozen, but would sudedenly break loose if i put a little force on the handle bars, then be ok for the season.
    i heard thats actaully salt crystals bound up in the first few inches fo the cable, so spraying water with the garden hose up the end of the cable will help that type of crystalized frozen cable. or getting it a bit loose and then putting it in the water to melt the remaining crystals...

but this yr it was hard and tight even after the intitial unsticking.
    had to figure out a way to really flush and lube the cable.
    i think i recally GP over at PPG actaully talkin about being able to somehow get a grease gun to pump grease into either end of a new cable to seal it from water intrusion.
    i havent figured out a way to do that but i bet it would work good.
    my 30 wt oil thru the whole cable should give pretty good protection too.
    when i pumped the hose up to 50 psi it was ballooning like a innertube, kinda scary, but it didnt blow.
    it was radiator hose , so that stuff is rated to take some pressure!!!

Yea... like 15 psi. on a car

+1
    i said it did inflate a bit, only looked a bit dangerous when i boosted it up to force the heavier oil in.
    i was more worried about the clamps letting looseor the hose slipping off the cable, not actually bursting the hose.
    i could use reinforced rubber tubing,i just didnt have any handy that was large enough diameter.
    i mean regular garden hose would probably work, most homes water pressure is 50-80 psi...
    in fact, i might use that next time, diameter would probably be close to perfect!
    and easy to adapt a fitting to connect to the air hose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information