Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12v low code

12v low code

I know it has been addressed before im sure but i cannot find it on any thread. I had a 12v low code flash on my 07 rxp just after starting it. Does this mean I have a bad battery or a battey about to die? Its not even a year old and I take it out every weekend. Good this be it or something else? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toilets View Post
    I know it has been addressed before im sure but i cannot find it on any thread. I had a 12v low code flash on my 07 rxp just after starting it. Does this mean I have a bad battery or a battey about to die? Its not even a year old and I take it out every weekend. Good this be it or something else? Thanks
    It probably means your voltage regulator is bad. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals with the ski running, you should see 13.5-13.8 volts, If not the regulator is bad.

What does the regulator affect? IE if I decided to say not do anything about it.

just like in a car if you voltage regulator is bad it wont charge the battery , or in some cases it will over charge but you wouldn't get a low voltage code if that was happening .

And as been said before...

Check the contacts on the 30a fuse in the fuse box first,. Make sure the connector looks straight inside the holder. If you can see a black burn mark the size of a pin head on the fuse blades, then the connector needs some attention. Change the fuse too.

Check the alternator. the three pin connector with yellow wires to it is where to check. (The one that goes to the housing from the engine)

Check to see if there is infinite(no reading on meter) between ANY connector pin and ground.

Resistance between any 2 pins should be 0.1 - 1 ohm.

3 pins, mark them down on paper with an identifier mark on it to follow your progress, and be sure you have checked the whole of them.

Between any 2 pins, there should be 25v AC @ 3500rpm.

All connected as normal you should see a MAXIMUM of 15volts dc across the battery at 5000rpm. Min should be about 13.4 - 13.8 Volts.

Look at the red/black wired connector from the regulator/rectifier, these are the feed wires to the battery, and where the charge is output.

... and once again re-connect with waterproof grease around it to help keep water out.

BTW, in ALL cases make sure the seals for the connectors are in place.

The Regulator holds the voltage to a maximum of 14.5 - 14.8 volts when working correctly.

Are the connections to the battery all good and clean ...UNDERNEATH the connector too?

Just a quick way to test it all...

BTW, The regular flaw in the 07 electrical is the fuse holder inside, they are often badly seated, and cause bad connection after the ski is started up, and had a high current load. pull the red fuse, and have a look.

What does the regulator affect? IE if I decided to say not do anything about it.
    The rectifier (regulator) charges the battery with current from the magnito when running. The ski totally runs off the battery not off the regulator. It's not putting power back into the battery and the battery will die. You cannot run very long without the regulator working, about $150 at any dealer. It's just plug and play so you can replace it yourself. I had to do this last year too.

Yep, it starts to miss, and then fails to rev out cleanly, and then it will not kick the engine over to start it...

-> Been there too..!!

+1
    Had a 12V low warning on an 05 GTX, checked it with a meter, not charging.
    Bought a new rectifier and went to install it, when I went to disconnect the old rectifier, the plug came apart without any force, it was defective from the factory and would not snap closed.
    It took 2 seasons of riding for it to finally come apart enough to disconnect.
    Zip tied it back together, problem solved.
    Rectifier for sale...

Thanks for the details Gents!! One Final question. Is this under warranty? Ski not even a year old and still have original warranty. 150 is not bad but if I can get it for free then why not.

+1
    Thanks for the details Gents!! One Final question. Is this under warranty? Ski not even a year old and still have original warranty. 150 is not bad but if I can get it for free then why not.
    Yeah it should be under warranty. I just realised this was an 07. A friend of mine had the same problem with his 07 and The battery was replaced under warranty. It seems that the 07s are very sensitive to any voltage change. Even though his battery was still good it was holding just under the limits of the 12v low indicator. He has not had any problem since then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information