Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    160
    +1
    3

    Question about open loop cooling

    I've done up 3 ski's runing open loop cooling. 2 RXP's both running ET 68/140 chargers, 48# injectors, RRFPR set at 52psi base, RR ECU's, and all the usually bolt ons. Another is a RXT X with same charger but 60# injectors to go with the RR ECU. I'm finding the spark plugs are pretty black and there is FUEL IN THE OIL. I never put a in line valve to adjust how much water goes into the motor. Fiquired with the amount of heat being generated the motors should be right on point. Guess not. Thinking there runing too cold, pistons aren't expanding and too much fuel is being dumped in.

    Can anyone else running a similar setup give me a pointer.


  2. #2
    beachbum0286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brigantine NJ
    Posts
    944
    +1
    1
    When I was running open loop cooling on my RXPX I drilled the pump reducer washer out to 1/2" I think. I still ran an in-line valve and I never ran it all the way open usually half open. You really should have engine temp gauges on the ski to keep an eye on things.

  3. #3
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    We have had the same issue. It seams that when the engine runs below 130 degrees it stays in cold start mode and is extra rich but the most important thing is to make sure you oil gets good and hot. this can be done by restricting the flow to the oil cooler.

  4. #4
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I've done up 3 ski's runing open loop cooling. 2 RXP's both running ET 68/140 chargers, 48# injectors, RRFPR set at 52psi base, RR ECU's, and all the usually bolt ons. Another is a RXT X with same charger but 60# injectors to go with the RR ECU. I'm finding the spark plugs are pretty black and there is FUEL IN THE OIL. I never put a in line valve to adjust how much water goes into the motor. Fiquired with the amount of heat being generated the motors should be right on point. Guess not. Thinking there runing too cold, pistons aren't expanding and too much fuel is being dumped in.

    Can anyone else running a similar setup give me a pointer.
    We have found that when running open loop it is almost necessary to run a temp guage and some type of control valve.Whats happening is when the motor is runnig cold the computer reconizes that and richens or dumps more fuel for the cool conditions so it doesnt lean out.From the testing i have done and temps i have seen i have been running my water temps at 170 degrees and have had no issues with gas in the oil..With 170/180 degree head temp that will get your oil around 190 degrees..Also the way you have it plumed can have an effect on how the engine/oil is cooled.There are many differant ways to run your cooling lines in an open loop setup..So just make sure you are getting ample water to the motor and make sure your oil temps are up...

  5. #5
    Richieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,001
    This is why I wont use open loop cooling.

    Sometimes it over-cools.

  6. #6
    HOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    4,759
    +1
    29
    Damn,,,,,this could be finally my problem with my hi-temp issue. No thermostat in water pump. I am running rich. Thus my high temp comes on and runs limp mode. I am now running stock ecu and still 50 pound injectors. High temp and motor heats up. I am really worried about my plastics riva pipe now. Never was before.

    So basically my water temp with no thermo is causing ecu to dump more fuel? Dammit,,,I gotta by a thermo now.

  7. #7
    HOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    4,759
    +1
    29
    Anyone got a used thermostat/ waterpump? Pm me.

  8. #8
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    160
    +1
    3
    I plumbed them exactly how RAPIDACCELATION did the diagram in the HOW TO section. Where would be a good spot to put the ball valve?? Was thinking right after the intercooler and before the motor. Really don't wanna slow down the flow of water going threw the intercooler though. Maybe will have to put in a by pass line to the exit line just to keep everything moving.

    Where is a good spot to put in the sensor for a temp guage??

  9. #9
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    Anyone got a used thermostat/ waterpump? Pm me.
    HOSS,
    I have an extra OEM thermostat if intrested.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I plumbed them exactly how RAPIDACCELATION did the diagram in the HOW TO section. Where would be a good spot to put the ball valve?? Was thinking right after the intercooler and before the motor. Really don't wanna slow down the flow of water going threw the intercooler though. Maybe will have to put in a by pass line to the exit line just to keep everything moving.

    Where is a good spot to put in the sensor for a temp guage??

    I changed the routing a little bit from the diagram for that reason..I wanted the water to flow throught the IC with no restrictions also..My IC and exhaust are routed together and the Motor and oil cooler are on another..I put a gate valve right before the water enters the engine..Also I would put the sencor right after the head...

  10. #10
    JFizzleJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,628
    +1
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I changed the routing a little bit from the diagram for that reason..I wanted the water to flow throught the IC with no restrictions also..My IC and exhaust are routed together and the Motor and oil cooler are on another..I put a gate valve right before the water enters the engine..Also I would put the sencor right after the head...
    What he said

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about open loop cooling
    By rxpblast in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
  2. open loop cooling question
    By DaveC in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
  3. Open Loop Cooling Question
    By suck my wake in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
  4. Open Loop Cooling question.
    By lafjax in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
  5. water intake for open loop cooling question
    By lee in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •