Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New 06 GPR owner with exhaust temp beep and rough idle

Hi everyone. Last weekend I bought a 2006 gp1300r with 29 hours on it. The guy selling it said it had a Riva stage one kit installed.
    He was the second owner and didn't know exactly what parts were installed as the first owner put them on.
    I was able to tell that he did not have the whole kit installed but this didn't really bother me.
    The ski does have an efi controller, exhaust of some sort and probably d-plate (I can tell by the sound + the fact that the exhaust temp beep/sign shows but will go off is I turn the ski off then back on). If I am recalling correctly it also has a Solas impeller of some sort, did not have receipt for it but does have sticker for the brand on the ski. Finally there is an intake grate or ride plate, I can't remember which.
    I've never ridden another GPR so I have no reference point to compare the ski to.

I apologize for the vagueness, I am unable to check on the specifics as the ski is kept at our beach home 2.5 hours away.

Hopefully this gives some idea of the condition of the ski.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) The first is about the exhaust temp beep/warning. A search of this forum leads me to believe that if I get a 2.2k resistor and plug it into the exhaust temp plug it will solve my beep. Since I did not install the exhaust in the first place, can someone please explain where this plug is/provide a picture of it's location within the engine bay for reference? Also, I noticed that some people are cutting off the other side of the harness (temp sensor side) and using it to make their resistor harness, I'm guessing I may not have this if the old owner removed the catalytic converter with it still attached. Does this sound right?

2) The second question related to what seems like a rough idle. The best way I can describe it is when you start the ski and are riding in a no wake zone with no throttle, it seems to shake more than I think it should. If I recall correctly the rpms stay constant but I don't recall what they stay at. Also, when we took the ski out of the water and flushed it, the engine was rocking back and fourth kind of like a Harley (which in my opinion is too much). I've seem a couple video's online of people flushing their GPR's and their engines don't seem to move as much. I'm wondering if this could be due to the efi controller. Different things I have read on this forum have implied that a ski with roughly the same mods as mine does not need the efi controller. I have no idea what the different pots are set to but was thinking of disconnecting it and seeing if the ski idles smoother. It doesn't seem to negatively affect how it runs when I give any amount of throttle. I can say that I've noticed that the ski is somewhat tame when giving approximately 50% throttle or less, but when you pull it all the way, it's like a switch has been thrown and there is a lot more power. I don't know if this is because of the efi controller, but I do not want to loose any power.

3) Finally, it seems like it is not very buoyant. I'm thinking this is just the way it's designed. For example, after I filled it with a full tank of gas, I was idling out of a no-wake zone with just myself on the ski (about 180lbs) and the nose had water coming over it. It seems like at very slow speeds it rides lower than other skis I have used in the past. Is this something all GPR's do?

thanks in advance for the insight.

1) the plug for the sensor is just behind the flush fitting it has a black plug. I don t have any photos but there is two sensors that plug in there and there should be one still there atleast.

2) I would say that the rough idle is to do with the settings you have on the efi controller. What engine mods have been done that you know of? ie Air filter, reeds, keyway??

3) Gprs do tend to drop the nose in no wake zones so that is 100% normal

Hey Bruce--thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding the engine work, to my knowledge none has been done, just the bolt-on's I have listed. I'm in a tough spot here because I don't know the original owner, so I can't reeally contact him. I guess I can call the guy who sold it to me and see if he still has contact info for the original owner.

welcome to the Board javajoe!

do you recall if the sensor is still installed in the stinger? or did the original owner install a plug (drain plug)?

so if I`m reading this correctly you are the 3rd owner?
    Did you do a compression test? test ride the ski? idlling could aslo be from fouled plugs etc. is the ski still oil injection or changed over to premix?

did you go over this machine in it`s entirety? look at the condition of the prop/wear ring etc...

even tho it has 29 hours, it all depended on how well it was taken care of and how well the mods were installed...
    usually anytime anyone does a D plate, the sensor chip/resistor was next to follow...

you really need to go over your ski, take a few pics and post exactly what ya have for better understanding and help from the forum...

I don't recall if the sensor is still installed in the stinger. For that matter, I don't even know what the stinger looks like (bear with me, this is my first PWC). Is it part of the exhaust system?

Yes, I am the third owner. I took the ski for a test ride, but did not check compression or the prop wear ring. Currently I do not know how to do either check. Any links for guidance/how to's?

As far as I know it is still oil injection. The seller did not mention pre mix but did mention the oil light can come on pre-maturely in rough water which implies to me that it's still oil injected.

Hopefully the rough idle is just do to the efi controller/possible bad plugs. I know the seller said that he just had a spring start-up, is checking the plugs typically part of this service?

Either way, about how much do new plugs cost? Changing them out is definitely something I could do myself.

I'll post up pics as soon as possible, unfortunately, it may not be for 2+ weeks until I have time to get down to the beach house for the weekend.

This is the stinger, this is a plug and gasket to replace cat temp sensor.
    I don`t have a pic of the resistor i used but i`m sure someone will show one...

I would def find someone close to you to help you out with your ski. Plug gap: 1-1.1mm (.044) and tightened to 18ftlbs...

a compression test will tell you condition/health of engine...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-19-2010 at 05:24 PM.

+1
    this is the one off craigslist correct? take a look around threw the 2 stroke performance section. I think he was on here that way you can find out any info on the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    this is the one off craigslist correct? take a look around threw the 2 stroke performance section. I think he was on here that way you can find out any info on the ski.
    Yep, it was off Philly craigslist. Do you remeber the old owner's username or anything that he posted here?
    This would assist my search.

And thanks for the pics, Palerider.

no prob...

was the throttle cable recall done on this ski java?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    no prob...

was the throttle cable recall done on this ski java?
    I don't know,is there anyway that I could tell by looking at it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information