Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: rpm issue

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    metairie,la
    Posts
    709

    rpm issue

    i went out ran 8360 rpm at 76,8 on a full tank was happy with the numbers but @ wot but my rpm would drop 8360,8320,8280,8240..down to 8180. it has an 8650 limit iwant to be at 8500. pulled the seat to look around and smoke was coming out it was oil smoke in the engine compartment. oil level is fine


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    i went out ran 8360 rpm at 76,8 on a full tank was happy with the numbers but @ wot but my rpm would drop 8360,8320,8280,8240..down to 8180. it has an 8650 limit iwant to be at 8500. pulled the seat to look around and smoke was coming out it was oil smoke in the engine compartment. oil level is fine
    The clutches in the s/c could've started letting go. Did you test the clutch slippage? Could also be a boost leak, check your hoses and clamps.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    metairie,la
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by novaprop67 View Post
    The clutches in the s/c could've started letting go. Did you test the clutch slippage? Could also be a boost leak, check your hoses and clamps.
    well jerry just rebuilt the sc, so i dont think thats the problem. didnt find any boost leaks with the soap water test.

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ft.Lauderdale
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    i went out ran 8360 rpm at 76,8 on a full tank was happy with the numbers but @ wot but my rpm would drop 8360,8320,8280,8240..down to 8180. it has an 8650 limit iwant to be at 8500. pulled the seat to look around and smoke was coming out it was oil smoke in the engine compartment. oil level is fine
    Sounds like your SC clutch is slipping..You running a boost gauge?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    well jerry just rebuilt the sc, so i dont think thats the problem. didnt find any boost leaks with the soap water test.
    We've rebuilt superchargers, then immedietly checked them and they were slipping. Sometimes it's because the spring washers are old and losing their tension, sometimes the gear is worn and needs to be replaced. Was the supercharger rebuilt using a rebuild kit, or were the clutches changed only???

    Only way to be certain is to test the slippage and see what they start to slip at.

  6. #6
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    If there is oil smoke in your engine compartment and you air intake is breathing from inside the hull it will cause you to loose rpms big time. Are you running a catch can? If so, chances are that is where the smoke is coming from. If not, did you spray your engine down with lubricant that could be burning off? Try running it with the seat off and see what happens.

  7. #7
    Or it could be an exhaust leak as well....that'll cut your power/rpms!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    metairie,la
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Sounds like your SC clutch is slipping..You running a boost gauge?
    12/13 psi

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    metairie,la
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    If there is oil smoke in your engine compartment and you air intake is breathing from inside the hull it will cause you to loose rpms big time. Are you running a catch can? If so, chances are that is where the smoke is coming from. If not, did you spray your engine down with lubricant that could be burning off? Try running it with the seat off and see what happens.
    jim, my air inlet is right under the glove box, dont know if it could get smoke ingestion from there. thats what i was thinking also

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    metairie,la
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by novaprop67 View Post
    We've rebuilt superchargers, then immedietly checked them and they were slipping. Sometimes it's because the spring washers are old and losing their tension, sometimes the gear is worn and needs to be replaced. Was the supercharger rebuilt using a rebuild kit, or were the clutches changed only???

    Only way to be certain is to test the slippage and see what they start to slip at.
    you know what i just went and checked it and it is turning by hand not easily but it is spinning.?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Blow off block off RPM issue
    By Sheldon in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
  2. Low RPM issue
    By sportman in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
  3. RPM issues on new Speedster 430
    By TedC in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
  4. Low RPM Issue
    By xenonx in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
  5. Riva Stage 2 RPM Issues
    By ActionR32 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •