Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rpm issue

rpm issue

i went out ran 8360 rpm at 76,8 on a full tank was happy with the numbers but @ wot but my rpm would drop 8360,8320,8280,8240..down to 8180. it has an 8650 limit iwant to be at 8500. pulled the seat to look around and smoke was coming out it was oil smoke in the engine compartment. oil level is fine

Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    i went out ran 8360 rpm at 76,8 on a full tank was happy with the numbers but @ wot but my rpm would drop 8360,8320,8280,8240..down to 8180. it has an 8650 limit iwant to be at 8500. pulled the seat to look around and smoke was coming out it was oil smoke in the engine compartment. oil level is fine
    The clutches in the s/c could've started letting go. Did you test the clutch slippage? Could also be a boost leak, check your hoses and clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by novaprop67 View Post
    The clutches in the s/c could've started letting go. Did you test the clutch slippage? Could also be a boost leak, check your hoses and clamps.
    well jerry just rebuilt the sc, so i dont think thats the problem. didnt find any boost leaks with the soap water test.

Banned User
    Sounds like your SC clutch is slipping..You running a boost gauge?

well jerry just rebuilt the sc, so i dont think thats the problem. didnt find any boost leaks with the soap water test.
    We've rebuilt superchargers, then immedietly checked them and they were slipping. Sometimes it's because the spring washers are old and losing their tension, sometimes the gear is worn and needs to be replaced. Was the supercharger rebuilt using a rebuild kit, or were the clutches changed only???

Only way to be certain is to test the slippage and see what they start to slip at.

+1
    If there is oil smoke in your engine compartment and you air intake is breathing from inside the hull it will cause you to loose rpms big time. Are you running a catch can? If so, chances are that is where the smoke is coming from. If not, did you spray your engine down with lubricant that could be burning off? Try running it with the seat off and see what happens.

Or it could be an exhaust leak as well....that'll cut your power/rpms!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Sounds like your SC clutch is slipping..You running a boost gauge?
    12/13 psi

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    If there is oil smoke in your engine compartment and you air intake is breathing from inside the hull it will cause you to loose rpms big time. Are you running a catch can? If so, chances are that is where the smoke is coming from. If not, did you spray your engine down with lubricant that could be burning off? Try running it with the seat off and see what happens.
    jim, my air inlet is right under the glove box, dont know if it could get smoke ingestion from there. thats what i was thinking also

Quote Originally Posted by novaprop67 View Post
    We've rebuilt superchargers, then immedietly checked them and they were slipping. Sometimes it's because the spring washers are old and losing their tension, sometimes the gear is worn and needs to be replaced. Was the supercharger rebuilt using a rebuild kit, or were the clutches changed only???

Only way to be certain is to test the slippage and see what they start to slip at.
    you know what i just went and checked it and it is turning by hand not easily but it is spinning.?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information