Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Wsm pitons any good?

IM rebuilding a 1998 xl 1200 for my nephew,its all stock and he wants to go as cheap as possible but dont really want to give up reliability,,i found a complete WSM top end kit for $299.00 anybody ever used these? and are they reliable? thanks jeff

I would go prox or oem over wsm i have seen too many cracks around the pin boss & skirts to ever use them again.
    The price of a prox kit with top end gasket kit is not that much more for the sake of reliability check these guys out good discounts.
    http://www.capefearmotorsports.com/Yamaha_s/45.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kham383 View Post
    I would go prox or oem over wsm i have seen too many cracks around the pin boss & skirts to ever use them again.
    The price of a prox kit with top end gasket kit is not that much more for the sake of reliability check these guys out good discounts.
    http://www.capefearmotorsports.com/Yamaha_s/45.htm
    DO NOT USE CAPE FEAR! I ordered some fuel pumps over a month ago and still haven't heard anything...multiple emails and phone calls!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    DO NOT USE CAPE FEAR! I ordered some fuel pumps over a month ago and still haven't heard anything...multiple emails and phone calls!
    that sucks!! i believe they like to play that (sell it on back-order game

+1
    I second this!! I ordered jets from them back toward the beginning of the year and have heard NOTHING from them. Same deal, multiple emails and phone calls with no response.

Thanks for the heads up guys on cape fear motorsports, i was going to place a order on monday.
    If you guys waited that long how long would they would make a Aussie wait6-12 months.
    jeff007 sorry for the bad lead but you get my point for a little more $$ go prox or oem.

They WILL NOT answer the phone. I left them a message stating that they better not charge my credit card, and to cancel my order. I've heard nothing back, and haven't seen any charges come through. I'm betting they've closed up shop.

As for WSM pistons...The "Platinum" ones are much better than the regular style. The piston is heat treated, has a hard anodized dome for more strength, and given an anti friction coating. Those are the ones that gave WSM a bad rep. I've known quite a few guys who have used the platinums in triple pipe skis with success. I refuse to pay $130+ for a piston...

They WILL NOT answer the phone. I left them a message stating that they better not charge my credit card, and to cancel my order. I've heard nothing back, and haven't seen any charges come through. I'm betting they've closed up shop.

As for WSM pistons...The "Platinum" ones are much better than the regular style. The piston is heat treated, has a hard anodized dome for more strength, and given an anti friction coating. Those are the ones that gave WSM a bad rep. I've known quite a few guys who have used the platinums in triple pipe skis with success. I refuse to pay $130+ for a piston...
    The platinums were what i ran in my pump gas triple piper inspected after only 6hrs & all 3 pistons had hairline fractures in the pin bosses & a couple on the skirts in #3. I just paid $592 for 3 wiseco piston here in oz you guys get parts cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by kham383 View Post
    The platinums were what i ran in my pump gas triple piper inspected after only 6hrs & all 3 pistons had hairline fractures in the pin bosses & a couple on the skirts in #3. I just paid $592 for 3 wiseco piston here in oz you guys get parts cheap.
    Hmm....how long ago was that? Thats definitely not good. I take it there wasn't any detonation that created problems? I've used cheap Taiwanese pistons in my snowmobile for several years, without any problems, so I know some are good.

You definitely don't hear much about cheaper pistons around here, since most refuse to touch them, due to things they've "heard", so it's hard to get a general consensus about what they are like. I have talked to some very reputable ski/snowmobile mechanics that use WSMs in just about everything, and never have issues. I don't know what to make of the conflicting info.

WSM is what the factory uses. i have them in my 760 over a year now, changed rings before summer and the pistons looked great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information