Thread: need some help

need some help

hi new to forums but not to seadoo , previously owned a 97 speedster, I am looking at getting , and have actually found an 05 speedster. Now i have looked at all 52 pages for the past 3 hours looking for info on the twin 185hp motors? anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? also what would you guys pay? has 63hrs wake tower ,speakers, ballast system. was a 1 owner boat, Real nice guy selling it however doesnt seem to know to much about it(neither do i) I asked about the motors being supercharged and he said he didnt know if they were.
    also sent me some pics of the motor was wondering if i can send to someone on the forum and you can tell me because it appears to have a couple aftermarket parts but hell i dont know?

sorry its a speedster 200

If it has twin 185's they are supercharged. This came after the non supercharged 155's and before the supercharged 215's.

Its a good boat, you dont see too many of the twin 185's as they beefed it up to 215 shortly after. Should be much less work than the 97 speedster. No smoke on these, quieter and better on gas if you stay off the throttle.

Plus less upkeep.

Thanks,

Joe

am i going to have to rebuild the supercharger with steel washers?

Yes.

Personally, I would get the 155hp over the 185hp. Much less work, no rebuilds..ext.

The 215hp X 2 boat has the same issues, but you get more than a 30hp jump over the 155hp. Its more work, but is worth it.

If you can get the 185hp at a good price, go for it. The rebuilds are a pain, so factor that into the cost.

do you think 15000 is a good price for this setup , and how much would it cost to put the steel washers in the supercharger

If the boat is mint, I would offer $14000. The dual SC washer process will be about $300 if you take the chargers off yourself.

Just be careful!

I bought a 04 Sportster back in November and it ran perfect at the dealer (Legendary Marine, Destin FL) selling it. I then winterized it and the on the second time out this spring all hell broke loose. I'm now looking at a $3000 rebuild because all of the crankshaft bearings went out and the engine had internal evidence that it had injested water. The dealer that is now fixing it said they probably could have diagnosed the problem before I bought it. Said this just to advise you to get it checked out by a professional before you buy.

Have you checked out new (or better yet 2008 holdovers) boat prices? Many dealers are making some great deals. It would be a good data point anyway.

Zerotime engines, newer higher performance (increased HP) no wear ring wear, no immediate overhaul of SC required. Those things can factor for quite a bit in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Zerotime engines, newer higher performance (increased HP) no wear ring wear, no immediate overhaul of SC required. Those things can factor for quite a bit in my books.
    Utopia makes a very good point but if you get an 08 leftover you will still have to change the supercharger washers before you can use the boat.

Thread Information