Thumbs up It was 65 years ago in Normandy...

By this thread I just wanted to express myself about a really important celebration day...The "D-Day" for a french guy like me and its 65th anniversary...: 6-6-1944

This Day was a great Day in Normandy beaches with the "operation Overlord" where thousands of American, Canadian and English guys for the most, came to strongly fight against the Nazis and help french people to refind liberty...

Today I can say we're really honored to welcome your President here in France for tomorrow ceremony. there's no politic into my words...Just lot of emotion...Our President with yours, together, visiting Colleville cimetery where thousands of GI's lies forever...

Sorry to post it into a ski forum but I wanted to thank again American people for this bravery even after 65 years...

God bless America for ever...

+1
    Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm ex Air Force myself and that means alot to me. Enjoy your celebration Frenchy. God knows you've earned it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm ex Air Force myself and that means alot to me. Enjoy your celebration Frenchy. God knows you've earned it.
    +1 Kind words!

thanks for the thank you. my father was there in france helping ine french at normandy beach. my dad has told me alot of stories. it was a verry bad time in histiory. one story stuck in my memory. about how hard it was to find food. and how children were starving.my dad helped several families out by getting them much needed food. they could'nt thank him enough. my dad had a verry big heart for the french.

Thanks for these words...A lot of emotion even if I'm only 37 years old...

I often talked about this with my grandfather...He could meet GI's during '44 summer...Forever grateful...

For persons who are interested, here's a link of a specialized site...french but with an english version...

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/index.htm

I also love "Saving Private Ryan" for the 20 first minutes of the movie where we can see the battle in Utah and Omaha Beach...

Really impressive...Thanks to the veterans for informations...

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    before i read this i still thought the french were @$$holes.

My great uncle was a soldier and participated in Dday. Thank you for the message.

+1
    The war to end all wars, what a dark chapter in the world's history. My grandfather ran a POW work camp for Germans in England during the war and I've heard many stories. His daughter ( my aunt ) married a German POW that worked in His camp. Boy my Mom was pissed about that at the time. Max was his name and got captured by a black American GI because Max had never seen a black man before and hesitated, so the GI got the drop on Him. She would tell me about the V2 rockets that would come over the house, as long it was still running, it was okay, but the second the noise died, time to start to running for cover. They were the greatest generation this world will ever see!!!! They paid the ultimate sacrafice.

The ceremony has just finished a few minutes ago. A lot of emotion...Veterans happy to be here and share those memories...
    I could see some of them, more than 82 years old crying during the speech.
    One of them said : "You know, Unfortunately I think this is the last time I can come here for this celebration after today and see all these graves in Colleville..."
    He was very touching...

+1

Thumbs up

Thread Information