Am I ready for 951 to 1050 upgrade?

I have a 99 XPL that has gone through a couple of top ends and now it is time for another. My question is should I go the extra mile and do it big? I am already going to have to bore the cylinders and buy pistons so that cost is a given. What else besides a new set of heads will I have to upgrade? I have a R&D air cleaner,jet kit, intake grate, solas impeller, aftermarket lower section of head pipe, carbon tech SS reeds. Any advise would be great.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    First off why are you going thru some many top ends? What do your pistons look like? I would first see how your bottom end looks (crank seals) and do a pressure test on the engine before you decide to put a 1050 on it... When was the last time the carbs were rebuilt? Do you still have grey fuel lines in the boat? If you don't take care of the problem that is causing you to buy new top ends why spend money on going to a 1050 when it will do it again and faster..

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    First off why are you going thru some many top ends? What do your pistons look like? I would first see how your bottom end looks (crank seals) and do a pressure test on the engine before you decide to put a 1050 on it... When was the last time the carbs were rebuilt? Do you still have grey fuel lines in the boat? If you don't take care of the problem that is causing you to buy new top ends why spend money on going to a 1050 when it will do it again and faster..

I have figured out the top end problem. Was probably the fuel line issue which has been addressed. We have replaced all lines and gone through both carbs. These services were done within the last couple of weeks. We removed the cylinder last night and the bottom end looks fine. The wrist pins are in good shape without excessive slack.

What all is involved in doing this upgrade? Parts, labor, etc.

Any help here guys??

+1
    Where are you located? A big bore is not bolt on and go ride-- an experieced person should be doing the work.

I find a mild increase in displacement w/ some porting is/can be very impressive-- Ask DRB how his 99 GSXL with his stock black pipe is running after I got done working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Where are you located? A big bore is not bolt on and go ride-- an experieced person should be doing the work.

I find a mild increase in displacement w/ some porting is/can be very impressive-- Ask DRB how his 99 GSXL with his stock black pipe is running after I got done working on it.

I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I don't mind sending the cylinders where they need to go to be bored. Looking for recommendations and cost analysis at this time.

Thread Information