+1

Hard starting/dying mystery solved!!!

It was almost a year ago that I began having problems with the ski running great for a while and then it bogged something horrible. It didn't like hot days and ran good when the temperatures dropped.
    Called on a lot of friends, shops, on-line posts and tutorials...did everything I could and everything ever suggested. Changed the fuel, rebuilt the carbs, new reeds, fuel filter, lines and all that other common jazz.

I fill er' up and wow! runs great....until once again she bogged.

Completely baffled and mystified, oaring my way to shore and good thing it was close, I pop the hood and see the fuel tank looks a bit odd.
    So unscrewed the gas cap and could hear it taking a deep breath of air. (was near 1/2 a tank left)

So in the list of things to check 1st for anyone else suffering from a similar symptom, test the 'vent check valve' and 'pressure release valve' of the fuel tank as they might be seized closed thus starving the carbs for fuel do to vacuum buildup. Who-da known?

At least now I don't have to rebuild those carbs again for a while .)

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow

Glad to hear the problem is finally solved

There have been a number of owners who have had their fuel tank one-way check valves stuck closed. One valve is for pressure venting out of the tank, the other is to allow air into the tank as the fuel is used by the engine.

Did you replace both of the valves?

There is another air valve on the oil tank that does the same thing - allow air into the oil tank as the oil is used by the engine.

That is why one of the diagnostic questions is; When the engine bogs or runs poorly after running fine for a while, does cracking the fuel cap open make the problem go away?

If opening the fuel cap releases excess pressure or vacuum, and the engine running problem goes away for a little while, then the tank vent valves need to be checked or replaced.

Sometimes when the focus is on one possible problem cause, other possible causes might be over looked

You actually have time to ride?
    Good

+1
    I have a replacement for the oil tank, but will need to order for the fuel.
    In the mean time, is it possible to flush them with alcohol or something to set them free? I know it works for me. LoL
    But seriously, it takes a while for me to get parts in and could be 3 weeks away if I were to order on Monday.
    So not always having the time to load up the skis, go through big city traffic, and do the same back as it takes a lot of time. I moved, and now living on the water in the BC interior.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Glad to hear the problem is finally solved

There have been a number of owners who have had their fuel tank one-way check valves stuck closed. One valve is for pressure venting out of the tank, the other is to allow air into the tank as the fuel is used by the engine.

Did you replace both of the valves?

There is another air valve on the oil tank that does the same thing - allow air into the oil tank as the oil is used by the engine.

That is why one of the diagnostic questions is; When the engine bogs or runs poorly after running fine for a while, does cracking the fuel cap open make the problem go away?

If opening the fuel cap releases excess pressure or vacuum, and the engine running problem goes away for a little while, then the tank vent valves need to be checked or replaced.

Sometimes when the focus is on one possible problem cause, other possible causes might be over looked

You actually have time to ride?
    Good

+1
    So you now live nearer the water, or farther from the water?

You can certainly remove the tank vent valves from the hull, and try cleaning them out with gentle solvents and low air pressure.

Remember, these little valves normally open up at very low pressures (2 PSI or so), so if you over power them with force, you will just tear them apart inside.

You should be able to blow through them one way, and not the other

When I have needed parts quickly, calling around to various Polaris dealers that still handle a lot of Polaris PWC repair, often finds parts in stock. I have had parts overnighted to me when I really needed something.

These valves are small and light weight, so I suspect a FedEx or Purolator overnight envelope would handle them.

Last time I did this, it was an Ottawa dealer that sent them to me, and I am in Toronto. Arrived the next morning

+1
    I'll try cleaning first. Can you send me the dealer info? I still have about a 100.00 credit with a company in the US but speed is a factor as well. They could be shipped in a small bubble wrap pack I imagine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the girls.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	135382  

+1
    All the Polaris watercraft dealers are listed here

Ones I would start with;

CENTRAL ONTARIO POWER SPORTS INC.
    77 PATTERSON ROAD BARRIE, ON L4N 3V9
    705-721-7827
    www.centralontariopowersports.com

BLACKS CORNERS MOTORSPORT DIV OF CARSONS FARM SUPPLY LTD.
    7642 HIGHWAY #15 CARLETON PLACE, ON K7C 3P2
    613-253-2115
    www.blackscorners.com

You might also see if John Zigler has some good used ones he could put in a padded envelope for you. Air Mail

I will look through my little parts stash in the garage tomorrow. I might have a couple here...

What part numbers do you need?

Thread Information