Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noob wondering what to do....... Broken Rod, through case....

Just joined your wonderful forum. I also just bought my first ski. The only thing wrong with it, a rod broke and went through the block. UH OH. What is the cheapest way to get this fixed? I got it for cheap and hope to fix it. Should be an interesting project. So can the rod be replaced on the crank, or do I need to find another complete crank? Im sure the hole in the block can be welded and fixed. I need to find a piston and get that one cylinder resleeved. I need to find a carb set and reeds, and cylinder head. Thats all i know is missing but im sure there is more stuff missing

I have always wanted a ski, I figured this is a good way to get started for cheap. I don't have alot of money to spend on this thing and I dont need to go ridiculously fast (YET) I just want to get back it back on the water.

Any imput and advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks, -Chad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1552.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	601.8 KB 
ID:	135311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1551.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	135312  

Also a crank and cases.

Cheap may have just gotten expensive.

+1
    Welcome to the forum!! I moved this the Yami old school section, you will find lot's of helpful guy's here.
    Looks like you got your work cut out for you. You will need cases and a crank keep an eye on the classifieds here member crashard comes up with lots of parts for these at reasonable prices.

+1
    Go to the how to section and download a manual for the ski, learn what year parts fit yours the 00 and up skis are different you are in the 97-99 range with this ski.

Oh, thanks for moving it, sorry about the misplacement.

Hmmm, can not repair the crank?

Its a bad idea to mix and match cases right?

Yeah my tab might run get high on this. I drove 3 hours to get it, and then my water pump seized up on my truck, so I had to call my buddy, and he had to drive three hours to come get me, now im in it alot just for gas, ha ha ha. I just dont want to be in this thing more than a non-broke one would have cost me.

I dont think it will be a cheap fix is anything on these skis cheap just a crank will cost 700, take your time and do it right make sure you dont use oil injection if the line pops off you lose the motor again. good luck

Osidebill,

Thanks for more adivce, I downloaded both manuals, that is pretty sweet!. Thanks agian

I knew about yamaha and the oil injection. Im just going to assume that was the cause of all this. I will be mixing the oil in the gas for sure. You guys use avgas? I see this thing holds 13 gallons of fuel, I dont think I want to fill that with avgas.

Don't bother with AVgas. Unless the head has been modified to increase compression regular should be fine. If the head has been cut - premium. If you were running really high compression - than use 100% or a mix of race gas.

Just wondering, we used to run avgas in our motocycles. I enjoy that smell over regular gas.

So any one got any ideas on the crank? Can it be repaired?

+1
    Crankworks repairs cranks http://www.crankworks.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information