Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 slt700 nebie needs advise

I just bought 2 96 slt700 skiis and they both start and idle ok, but when i go full throttle they bog down and sometimes die, and only go about half as fast as they should, it seems as though they are running to rich or lean. but i don't know anything about jet skis, and the back spark plug gets a little oil on it. I want to know if I should try and rebuild the carbs myself or just take it in, if anybody thinks that is the problem? I am generaly good at fixing things such as cars, lawnmowers, I just don't want to get in over my head or make it worse or spend too much money on them either. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Green Hulk stoned420! You may have carb issues, but you 1st need to check compression to see how sound the engine is. The carbs shouldn't be too tough. Info on the carbs are in the manual that you can find here. If you have grey fuel lines, you will want to change them out as they form green goo that will clog carb screens and lead to a lean condition that will cook holes in the pistons.

one ski has 130psi on the first cylinder & 100psi on the other.
    the other ski has 60psi on the first cylinder & 90psi on the senond cylinder.
    i think i need to replace all piston rings on both skis and possibly replace the piston that only had 60psi. am i correct? or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

When you pull the heads off, you will be better able to confirm what parts will be needed, and what work the cylinders will need.

You need to make sure the crank shaft bearings are still good. You don't want any vertical play in the connecting rods.

If you haven't found them yet, click here for the Service Manuals.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    Those compression readings seem suspisius, You should see about 110 psi.
    Do you have a good compression gauge?
    Are you holding the throttle wide open when you are testing? Do both skies start on there own ( no jump) my point is if they crank over at the same speed.

thanks, my gauge should be good i don't know how to test it , but i got it from my mechanic friend. and thanks for the reminder i forgot to hold open the throttle. i am doing all this for the first time. I also use a site called bikerbandit.com for some diadrams and parts ordering. does anyone know of a cheaper place to get parts?? also when at that site i found 2 diferent piston rings. should i get stock or .50 OS ??? i will post back on my corrected compression readings tomorrow. thanks again for everyones help, it is truly appreciated.

yes they both start on their own or with a little throttle and seem to idle well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stone0420 View Post
    ...I forgot to hold open the throttle. i am doing all this for the first time.

...does anyone know of a cheaper place to get parts??
    The service manual outlines the compression check process;
    All spark plugs out
    Battery charged and healthy
    Throttle held wide open
    Crank until compression reading stabilizes (should only take a few seconds)

Record each cylinder, then go back and do them all again. Second set of readings should correspond closely with the first set.

Click here for Polaris OEM parts sources, and used parts sources.

thanks again for all the help.
    i rechecked the compression and both my skis have 120-130psi on the first cylinder and 90psi on the second cylinder.
    so i still asume i need to replace the piston rings on the second cylinder
    on both skis?
    how do i find out which size rings to get? i can get a micrometer but i am not sure how to determine which ones to get.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stone0420 View Post
    ...how do i find out which size rings to get?

I can get a micrometer but i am not sure how to determine which ones to get.
    Since you are new to this, you might want to take the low compression cylinders to a machine shop that does cylinder work -preferably one that is familiar with 2-stroke engines.

They can measure the cylinder, and tell you whether it can simply be honed and re-used, or if it must be bored out to the next standard size up (oversize).

Oversize pistons are made in 0.25mm increments above 'stock'. So a minor re-bore would mean you need to buy 0.25mm oversize pistons and rings.

They tell you what size pistons you will need, or if you can re-use your old pistons (take them with you). If you need a re-bore and oversize pistons, you go home and order the new pistons and matching rings.

When the new pistons and rings come in, you take the worn cylinders and the pistons back to the shop. The machinist will measure the pistons, and bore the cylinders for a perfect fit for those particular pistons. They can also adjust (file open) the piston ring end gap for you.

Now you have pistons and rings that fit the cylinder, and you can install them into the engine. Then follow the engine break-in process, and check piston wash patterns to confirm the carbs are delivering sufficient fuel to avoid piston lean burn damage.

Stepping out on the edge (and I may get my hand slapped for suggesting this), what you might be able to get away with is transferring the 'good' cylinder and piston from one engine to the weak position on the other engine. Then you will have two working cylinders on the same engine. You can check the compression to be sure everything is still good, then take it for a test ride.

Then you can rebuild the other engine with the two reconditioned 'formerly weak' cylinders, do a normal rebuild and break-in on that motor.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information