Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What the.....?

What the.....?

I recently had to replace the stator on the 2000 GTX due to some fool leaving a monster bow wave and swamping the ski with the hood up.
    Since then, she starts and runs fine on the ramp, but bogs down badly as soon as she hits the water and is under load.
    Apart from changing the stator, nothing else was messed with.
    i did notice a bit of an exhaust leak between the manifold and cone.
    Any ideas please!
    We're casting off for Cancun this week and I'd like to have an idea of the minimum parts to strip off before we go.

internal exhaust leaks can cause all kinds of problems, can cause the engine to bog, and if the leak is bad enough, will shut the engine down untill the flumes exit the hull. fix the leak and try to see if it runs better. next thing is check the fuel filter. is it dirty? and last the vent on the gas tank could not be working, try loosing up the gas cap a little and see if that prevents the bogging? some some tips. good luck! keep us posted on what you find, and hows the progress goes.

what the.......?

Thanks Pony. It seems we have a winner. Have improved the seal but still have a small leak. the bogging has pretty much disappeared.
    The cone is a swine of a thing to fit without extra hands.
    The manual doesn't mention any kind of sealant with the copper ring. Would that help?

yes! if you can seperate the cone, clean it up a bit. and use the high temp copper sealant. put a thin layer on lip, give it a few minutes to start to cure. then place them together and snug the clamp nice and tight.

good luck!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You need to replace the gasket. Once they start leaking, they get water saturated and never seal again. The surfaces have to be prepped and thoroughly cleaned. Carb cleaner works best. A razor balde will clean the surfaces the quickest, be sure to angle the blade to prevent it from gouging the soft aluminum.

The engine is bogging from excessive water being sprayed inside the pipe from the leaking gasket, not exhaust fumes inside the hull.

Place the gasket on dry. It has red adhesive sprayed on it already and makes an excellent seal when the surfaces are prepped properly.

If you don't have the rubber sleeve around the two fittings, order one. It deflects the water if a leak develops, and allows it to drain between the carbs and not get ingested into the engine, resulting in a piston seizure.

thanks for the message, those banding straps can be a pain if you don't aligned them just right. and if you look..there is NO WATER flow in that area, the water exits the pipe before the strap. so your bogging was the exhaust flumes leaking between the cones. good luck on sealing it tight this time. the copper sealant always works like a champ for me.

never have seen a solid copper ring (gasket) ever get water soaked?

+1
    He was referring to the paper gasket at the manifold, which seemed to be leaking based on the initial post.

It seems that one would notice if there was enough exhaust in the engine compartment to choke one down every time you tried to take off. I have seen this happen and when you took the seat off it looked like Cheech and Chong were burning a fat one in there. Still, if fixing the leak fixed the bog...

The question is, was the pipe removed to replace the stator.

Most folks break the pipe to get them out of those GTXs. We have already seen evidence of the last installation of the pipe maybe not going so well (a properly sealed 947 stock pipe should pretty much stay sealed, well, forever). Has the bog disappeared, or by pretty much do you mean it still does it some? Will it turn its normal WOT RPM (should be in the 6750-6850 range)?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Let's identify what the exhaust pipe components actually are: Exhaust manifold bolts to cylinder, headpipe bolts to exhaust manifold, and chamber or tailcone bolts to the headpipe.

If you have exhaust leaking between the headpipe and tailcone then it will run poorly also, becaus this is the expansion chamber. The two stroke will not scavange properly if busted open, or not sealed properly.

And I was referring to the headpipe gasket as Krunch mentioned. Copper is fine for the headpipe to tailcone connection. But I use the high-temp red RTV as was originally used.

what the...

Thanks to all the advice, the bogging has been cleared up.I used red RTV in the end, as that's what I had handy and the key issue was positioning the 2 flanges and using one hand to close the clamp. I used a piece of hard foam to prop the cone aagainst the hull and keep the flanges against each othe , so I could use both hands.
    Now I'm back to the original problem, which is the bogging down when I try to accelerate.
    If you try to open up from idle normally, she wants to shut down, but if you pull the choke while maintaining throttle pressure, she opens up and runs great all the way to wOT
    Once again, thanks to all you guys.

+1
    Fuel delivery. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned/rebuilt? Are the fuel lines gray?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information