Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sticky accel pump on GPR...common???

The short question: Do the GPR accel pumps ever get sticky and cause a temporary bogging due to flooding?

The long question, plus details:

I've got a '00 GP1200R..and has poor performance upon REstarts.

It'll start with one pop of the starter, but when you give it gas to leave the shore, it'll bog and die. If the RPM's come up ONCE, it'll be fine until just after you restart again.

Basically, once it starts...it'll bog when you give it throttle. After a few seconds, or a few tries of hitting the gas...it'll "clear out" and run 100% normal.

And before I get the "rebuild the carbs" or "clean the carbs"...this did not develop over time, just started one day, and has happened ever since - Not like a normal carb or tuning problem.

SO, with all that said...I've noticed the accel pump lever or assembly seems to stick when I first pull the throttle. (By seems to stick I mean the lever follows the 'cam' wheel and then sticks in place..eventually pops back out onto the cam wheel where it's supposed to ride)

Once you pull it quickly a few times, it frees up and is fine.

I lubed it with some Teflon-based lube, and it stuck once after sitting, but then moved more freely than ever.

If this is the root of my problem, is this lubing going to be necessary, and what should I use?

Thanks for any input.

- Brian

Not sure, most of us disable the accelerator pumps and re-jet the carbs. We then use the accel pumps for a primer.

I plan to do the same this winter...but for now, I just wanted to see if this was common.

...and if so, if there's a reccomnded fix.

Anyone else?

THanks - Brian

+1
    I'm not sure how a sticky ACC pump would cause flooding. It's either moving and squirting fuel, or it's sticking and it's not. I'd look elsewhere for your problem.

+1
    Sounds like a leaky or dirty needle/seat.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie
    I'm not sure how a sticky ACC pump would cause flooding. It's either moving and squirting fuel, or it's sticking and it's not. I'd look elsewhere for your problem.
    Great input...I was under the impression that it would cause flooding as it stuck open.

If that's NOT the case, I'll investigate elsewhere.

Thanks,

Brian

+1
    The acc. pump has a small diaphram inside of it just like the fuel pump side of the carbs. Everytime you squeeze the throttle this pushes on the diaphram and squirts fuel into the throat of the carb. So if its sticking the diaphram isnt being compressed the amount it should. Therefore its not squirting the proper amount of fuel when needed and could very well be causing a lean bog issue. Having said that your better off disabling the pump and using the 120 mains,110 pilots and 1.5 n/s with 95 gram springs instead of trying to rebuild just the acc. pump. Hope this helps you out.

Sounds more like needle and seat to me...try this...after sitting for awhile in the sun, open the fuel tank gas cap and see if a lot of pressure comes out. If it doesn't, you may have leaky needle and seats. That's just my .02 though.

Steve

^^^ I'll try that, thanks.

...and again, I plan to rebuild and rejet this winter - At that point, I'll disable the accel pump and follow the recs on here for the mains, pilots, etc...

- Brian

I have exactly the same problem on a 99 xll 1200. Thought rebuilding the carbs would fix it but it didnt. Still have problem. Has any one had this problem and fixed it by disabling accel. pump and rejeting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information