Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1200 xlt Waverunner D-PLate & Cat sens. Chip Install Help

Need a little help, I just got my first pair of used 2001 Waverunner 1200Xlts, one has a bad Cat. I was told the best fix was to install a D Plate and Cat Temp Sensor. I can fix just about anything I can see and reach. That said, I don't have much experience with PWCs but think I can handle it if someone can walk me through it, any type of photos to get me started in the right dirction would be very helpful indeed. I have a CD that contains the exhaust system diagram, please refer to parts in a manner in which I can look them up in the manual and know exactly what you're referring to. Thanks L

League City, Texas
    Welcome to the forum.

Sound like you have a service manual for your ski. If not, feel free to dowload one in my signature.

For the exhaust removal, look in this link below. It contains the stiner removal and exhaust chamber removal. This is for a GPR, it will apply for your XLT, same motor, but may be a little different in how it comes out of the ski due to the design of the hull vs. the GPR

Cat-Con removal instructions

There are some other things I would suggest also for that 2001 66V motor.
    Wave Eater clips are recommended. Power valves have been known to drop and cause engine damage.

Cape Coral
    try the search function , when you are sitting on the ski the cat. is in the exhaust on the right side you will get instructions with the d-plate, it does not come with gaskets, you only have to remove the stinger not the u shaped part of the exhaust at the front of the motor maybe this will help you.
    Removing OE Exhaust
    1. Remove wrist lanyard; disconnect battery cables, spark plug wires and turn fuel valve to off position.

FOR GPR’s: Remove battery and fire extinguisher container from battery tray. Next, remove the electrical box
    by removing the two OE M8 nuts and washers on each side of electrical box holding it to the front of the battery

NOTE: Be careful not to cut or damage wiring around and/or leading into electrical box. Then,
    remove battery tray by removing the four cap nuts and lay electrical box down behind bulkhead.
    FOR XLL & XLT’s:

Proceed to step 3.
    3. Loosen the two OE hose clamps that retain the large black exhaust boot/cooling coupler and slide boot/coupler
    forward over OE exhaust head pipe.

Disconnect catalytic converter and exhaust outlet
    temperature sensors at their connectors located on side of electrical box. Loosen hose clamp retaining OE
    exhaust outlet flange to exhaust outlet water box coupler.

4. Remove the M10 X 50mm bolts holding the two OE exhaust brackets to cylinder head and the one M8 X 35mm
    bolt holding the exhaust tail pipe to the exhaust mount at rear of engine. Leave exhaust bracket mounted on rear
    of engine in place. Remove rear section of OE exhaust system by loosening the OE #64 hose clamp on the gray
    coupler that joins the OE exhaust head pipe to the catalytic converter.
    5. Remove catalytic converter from rear section of OEM exhaust by removing the 6 M8 X 100mm bolts and replace
    with Cat Removal D-plate.

D-plate will install only one way. Opening faces down. (We
    recommend using Permatex

Copper SPRAY-A-GASKETHi-Temp Adhesive Sealant when reusing exhaust
    gaskets. This is available through RIVA Racing’s parts department [part# 80697] or most automotive stores.
    Please follow manufacturer’s instructions when using sealant.)
    6. Install rear section of OE exhaust by following steps 3 & 4 in reverse order. Torque OE M8 exhaust bracket bolts
    to 39Nm (3.9 m/kgf • 28ft/lbs) when installing.

Use Loc-Ttite 271 on threads. Do not over tighten hose
    7. Slide the large black exhaust boot/cooling coupler onto rear section of exhaust and secure using OE hose clamps
    (see Installation Recommendations & Tips).

Do not over tighten hose clamps.

For GPR’s: Install battery tray, electrical box, battery and fire extinguisher in reverse order of step 2.
    For XLL’s & XLT’s:

Proceed to step 9.
    9. Check bilge area for tools, loose lines and/or fittings. Reattach battery cables and turn fuel valve to on position.
    10. Upon completing installation, run engine on flush kit and check for leaks. After allowing engine to cool, go over
    all hose clamps to make sure they are seated properly. After your first test-ride we recommend you go over all
    hose clamps again after allowing engine to cool to ensure they are tight and seated properly.

Most appreciated, I will let you know how I come out.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Waterloo, IA
    welcome and good luck

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    Naples, FL
    Exhaust removal xlt 1200 PITA done it about 4 times in 3 weeks getting real good at it if you want you can pm me and i will give you my number so i can talk u thru it unless you are still in the garage doing it right now all the way from yesterday

D-Plat install help from Sandman7793

I will contact you if I need more, I got some pretty good instructions, but it's always helpful to talk to someone. I plan to do the do next weekend or the week after. I'll be in touch if I get in over my head. Thanks for responding

Thanks to all,

Greeeting everyone, wanted to thank all for the help with installing the D-Plate and temp sensor chip in my waverunner. Completed the job this weekend, everything went well, needed a little extra direction from sandman7793, he was very, very helpful, bravo to ya sandman. Have not hit the water yet, doing that this weekend.

Cape Coral
    mine was just done so i put pictures up in 2004xlt project to help people see what it looks like being done. gl with your ski

Charlotte, NC Lake Wylie
    One thing that should have been done was to check the oil lines where they attach to the carbs. I normaly will use two wraps of stainless safety wire to prevent them from falling off. You can use a flashlight and mirror to look at the rear one it is the one that normaly falls off. If it is loose then pull that pipe again and either replace the oil lines with new or do the safety wire thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information