Thread: bilge pump

bilge pump

How to manually turn on the bilge pump on a 96 780 slx, Guys my buddy lives on a canal and does not have a trailer is there any way you know how he can turn on the bildge to drain the ski because he must have a leak.. Cya Slick

Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    How to manually turn on the bilge pump on a 96 780 slx, Guys my buddy lives on a canal and does not have a trailer is there any way you know how he can turn on the bildge to drain the ski because he must have a leak.. Cya Slick
    He can tap directly into the lines running into the bilge pump, connect directly to the battery on board, or even to an external battery. Ive done it on my Hurricane to verify that it was working. If he has the time, he can go into the elec box, and run to a constant 12v, and just install a switch in the engine compartment or glove box. Ive thought about doing that to mine as well.

Thanks for the reply, he took it for a ride around the canal and it kicked on kicked out the water, I think he wants to put a bildge pump in with a float just like a boat, Thanks for the imput.. Cya Slick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suggest the through-hull bearing be checked for water leakage.

If water is coming in through the drive shaft seals, then water is also getting to the steel bearing located inside the through-hull assembly.

That bearing will eventually fail if it is sitting in water inside there. If the bearing then fails and seizes up while he is riding, it can tear the rubber attachment for the bearing apart, and water will flood into the hull.

Check every hose and clamp in the cooling water system, especially those that are near or below below the water line when it is docked.

Also check the speedometer pitot nipple under the drive shaft, and make sure the speedometer hose is not loose or cracked/leaking.

Normally, these Polaris hulls don't take on much water when just sitting, unless something is leaking (or rain water is getting in). Fix the leaks.

The standard Rule type bilge pump used by Polaris is designed to run continuously when it has power. The Rule pumps are rated for continuous operation, wet or dry.

If you install a float switch controlled bilge pump, keep in mind that the rough ride in a PWC can pound the float switch to death, and then the pump might not come on when it is needed.

If you really can not get the leaks to stop, I suggest installing a second bilge pump, with a separate water exit. Hook that second pump up to the switch. That way, the stock pump can still do its job, when the engine is running.

Note: If you connect an external AC power supply to the electrical system, or even just to power the second bilge pump, there are a bunch of safety issues that need to be handled. These are important to avoid the possibility of electric shock, and to avoid damaging the PWC from galvanic corrosion (via ground loop currents).

I would suggest not connecting an external AC power feed to these machines.

Good note K447, I was only suggesting this as a temporary fix. I thought he just had a butt load of water in the hull and needed to get it out ASAP. But yes, find the leak(s), fix em, and all should be dandy!

thanks K447 yes that would be the correct way to fix the problem, I will forward this on to him.. Cya Slick

Thread Information