Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What is the best intercooler for rxp?

Not the cheapest

+1
    In this case the best is the cheapest

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=983

+1
    I think your going to get many different answers on this. Some people say the Rotax is the best since it seems to cool the charge the most at the expense of CFM. Some say the Riva Gen 2 since its a solid mix between good cooling and good CFM. Some say the XS since it flows so well. Personally I dont think there has been a solid back to back comparison of the 3 IC's when used in a high boost charger and running it on a closed course for a good 10 laps. To me that would be the perfect test. Oh and the test should be done in the Havasu or South Florida summer

+1
    My personal opinion is the rotax is junk compared to the others. I guess it depends on what you're using it for? I would venture a guess and say the OEM X series (Riva Gen. II) and XS are extremely similar. Beware I have no first hand back-to-back testing to support this comparison, only reading experience and customer reviews. I hear something about Les Cooke having a good intercooler. I am under the impression his parts are somewhat exclusive. The Pirahna has fell off the map IMO and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's for the same reason Riva switched from Gen. I to Gen. II.

+1
    I know 1 of the big cc boys over here in UK is using a Garrett core with custom end tanks with good success. The core alone was alot of money tho and to put it as he did "you pay for what you get." I think this is true, the XS flows the best we know that, but it is not the best at keeping intake temps down over a few laps or an amount or hard running time. I cant remember who did some back to back testing on a CC with some ICs. The rotax did keep the temps down but lost boost. XS had best flow/boost but temps were up after a few laps.

It depends what your doing, IMO for all rec riders the fizzle kit cant be beat, performance/cost its untouchable. I dont run a fizzle kit as i put mine together myself but its basicly the same thing.

If you are racing and every last bit is of importance then maybe you would want to invest more money and look at something custom. Its all about balence. You need the right flow vs cooling vs wieght and space. Good way to flow and cool more is to have a larger core but then it wieghs more.

I think the XS could be made to cool better by flowing more water. But you then have to control the flow to everything after the IC to ensure correct cooling of the engine (if open loop) and the exhaust. R88

Denser vs Flow for Intercoolers good info

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87061

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    I know 1 of the big cc boys over here in UK is using a Garrett core with custom end tanks with good success. The core alone was alot of money tho and to put it as he did "you pay for what you get." I think this is true, the XS flows the best we know that, but it is not the best at keeping intake temps down over a few laps or an amount or hard running time. I cant remember who did some back to back testing on a CC with some ICs. The rotax did keep the temps down but lost boost. XS had best flow/boost but temps were up after a few laps.

It depends what your doing, IMO for all rec riders the fizzle kit cant be beat, performance/cost its untouchable. I dont run a fizzle kit as i put mine together myself but its basicly the same thing.

If you are racing and every last bit is of importance then maybe you would want to invest more money and look at something custom. Its all about balence. You need the right flow vs cooling vs wieght and space. Good way to flow and cool more is to have a larger core but then it wieghs more.

I think the XS could be made to cool better by flowing more water. But you then have to control the flow to everything after the IC to ensure correct cooling of the engine (if open loop) and the exhaust. R88
    Just run 2 cooling circuits. 1 for the engine and 1 for the IC/exhaust. Bump the pressure on the IC circuit up to around 30 psi and it'll show some improvement in efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Just run 2 cooling circuits. 1 for the engine and 1 for the IC/exhaust. Bump the pressure on the IC circuit up to around 30 psi and it'll show some improvement in efficiency.
    James, are you talking about splitting the water intake from the pump and run one circuit through the ic and out the exhaust. Run the other circuit through the manifold and out the exhaust for better ic and engine cooling??

+1
    On an open loop system, split the line from the pump into 2. Lower the pressure of the line going to the engine/oil cooler to approx. 15 psi with a ball valve or other restrictor. The unrestricted leftover line coming from the pump should be approx. 30 psi. depending on how much you open up the pump pickup hole between the pump and pumpshoe. The engine side doesn't need more pressure to run more efficient. Slightly more pressure than stock should simulate a lower temp. thermostat. More than 20 psi is not healthy. On a closed loop system you can simply replace the washer between the pump and pumpshoe to something that will give you close to 30 psi. It's a good idea to run a few dump lines along the way AFTER the intercooler so the exhaust isn't completely hampered with the extra waterflow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information