Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 96 slt 780 display problems (help)

hi im a newbie and i just bought a 96 slt 780 polaris but i have a problem with the display. first the display didn't work so i look'd at the electrical box and i replaced a broken 3amp fuse, after that i tried the display again and it was working for about 30 sec. but then it turned off again. so i looke'd at the electrical box again but everything was good i even check'd the voltage to the display and it says 12v. so i don't know what the problem could be please help. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the downloadable Polaris Service Manuals.

The 3 Amp fuse inside the electrical box is for the bilge pump. There is a separate 1/4 Amp fuse for the MFD display in the electrical box.

There should be zero moisture inside the box, and no corrosion on the terminal board (front or back) or the wire connectors.

How did you check the power to the MFD display?

i have checkt the electrical box and it has no moisture in it and i checked and replaced all fuses. there was some corrosion on the connector for the MFD so i cleand it but still nothing.
    i used a digital multitester and i connected the red/purple to the batteries positive and the black to the negative.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bbah111 View Post
    i have checked the electrical box and it has no moisture in it and i checked and replaced all fuses.

there was some corrosion on the connector for the MFD so i cleaned it but still nothing.

i used a digital multi-tester and i connected the red/purple to the batteries positive and the black to the negative.
    So you checked the voltage at the battery posts, not at the actual MFD wire harness connector?

The MFD connector has a Red/Purple and a Black wire. If you have the 8-pin MFD then that would be pins 1 and 2.

Touch your meter to those two pins, and see if you have 12 volts at the MFD connector. Be careful not to short the meter probes together.

You may need to stick short cut sections of paper clip (not the entire paper clip) into the two pin holes to make contact inside for your meter probes, but then you really have to be careful not to short the two pins together!

BTW, does your engine actually start and run?
    Just want to be sure the battery is hooked up correctly

yes i also have measured the voltage at the wire harnes connector and i get 12volt. but the display is blank.
    yes the engine starts and runs.

+1
    Well, it is possible the MFD display has failed.

Was the battery ever connected backwards, even for just a second?

If you want to double check the MFD wiring, you can do this test;
    Disconnect the battery negative, and open the electrical box.
    Set your meter to ohms, and put one probe on the engine block. Connect the other probe to the Black wire at the MFD harness connector. You should measure under 1.0 ohms (the closer to zero, the better).

Now move one probe to the battery positive post. Touch the other probe to the Red/Purple pin of the MFD harness connector. Again, it should read less than 1.0 ohms.

If these tests are both good, then the MFD is probably bad.

You say you have cleaned some corrosion of the MFD pins. If the pins are in poor shape, they may not be making solid contact inside the harness connector.

I have also found that sometimes the Nyogel dielectric grease, which does not conduct electricity, can coat the pins, and prevent them from making proper electrical contact inside the connector.

I use electrical contact cleaner to wash any dielectric grease off the actual MFD pins, and also spray the cleaner into the harness connector pin holes. Available at most electrical and electronic repair supply shops, under many brand names.

i tested the ohms like you said on the first one i had 0.00 ohms and on the second one i also had 0.00 ohms. but then i conected my MFD and the display shows about half level of fuel (but only have a 1/4 in it) and it shows a letter that looks like an F but turned upside down?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bbah111 View Post
    ...I connected my MFD and the display shows about half level of fuel (but only have a 1/4 in it) and it shows a letter that looks like an F but turned upside down?
    So this is better than before, when the MFD wasn't working at all?

You can post a photo to confirm, but it sounds like you have what are known as MFD faded digits. This can be repaired - see the link for details.

i have already followed those steps i opend it up and cleand everything but here are some pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0235.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	379.0 KB 
ID:	135885

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0236.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	135886

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you tried the reset procedure for the MFD? Instructions are in the tech section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information