Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bucking = Thinking Twice about FZR

First, want to say hi to everyone on the forum! Second, I want to thank all members for spreading information about the bucking issue. Might have saved my life, THANKS.

So I'm in the market for a new ski, had my heart set on the FZR. When I read about the bucking issue though, I got very worried. I'm no racer, but am definitely going to max this thing out. I do not want to buy a ski that has repeatedly thrown off riders. It must be completely mechanically sound. I am aware of the same issue on GPR's; I had a '00 GP1200R, floored it many times, never thrown off, but definitely got spooked by loss-of-control sensation a few times.

I am now thinking SHO, but even some members reported bucking issues with them. I don't want to go with a Doo, I love yammi's, but I love my life more.

Before I make my purchase, I need personal confirmation that an aftermarket intake grate will 100% remedy this issue. Can anyone help me out here?

Again, thanks to all members!

Josh

+1
    Hi There

well the FZR is a awesome machine .... yes there was a problem with the bucking trust me i got thrown off my self doing around 95klms ouch.

How ever i fitted the R&D intake grate and have tested it a couple of times now and no problems with the bucking off

i have held it WOT on the flat water and the chop and backed off the gas and no sign what so ever of the buck...

So in saying that once you fit a after market intake grate all will be good,

had a couple of mate also fit them and same story no bucking any more.

i was out with a good mate the other day in botany bay and had some huge swell in the heads and this FZR carve up the chop with ease ....

its like night and day compared too my old GPR witch are a awesome hull as well.

cheers
    tony

[quote=much2fast;1089359]First, want to say hi to everyone on the forum! Second, I want to thank all members for spreading information about the bucking issue. Might have saved my life, THANKS.

So I'm in the market for a new ski, had my heart set on the FZR. When I read about the bucking issue though, I got very worried. I'm no racer, but am definitely going to max this thing out. I do not want to buy a ski that has repeatedly thrown off riders. It must be completely mechanically sound. I am aware of the same issue on GPR's; I had a '00 GP1200R, floored it many times, never thrown off, but definitely got spooked by loss-of-control sensation a few times.

I am now thinking SHO, but even some members reported bucking issues with them. I don't want to go with a Doo, I love yammi's, but I love my life more.

dont think too much abt it because there were some guys that were having the bucking issue but there are a lot of FZR/FZS that are out there that never had the issue, and just to reasure things slap the R&D or Riva grate on that bad boy and ride

+1
    Make sure you change the grate!!! You dont want to be recovering from a surgically repaired torn bicep like I am thanks to getting tossed. Just figure it in to the cost of the ski because it is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by spinaker View Post
    Make sure you change the grate!!! You dont want to be recovering from a surgically repaired torn bicep like I am thanks to getting tossed. Just figure it in to the cost of the ski because it is a must.
    sorry to hear about your injury man hope you'll recover soon

what is yamaha doing to remedy this? its an easy fix why havent they recalled it?

[quote=fxshostopper;1089617]
    Quote Originally Posted by much2fast View Post
    First, want to say hi to everyone on the forum! Second, I want to thank all members for spreading information about the bucking issue. Might have saved my life, THANKS.

dont think too much abt it because there were some guys that were having the bucking issue but there are a lot of FZR/FZS that are out there that never had the issue, and just to reasure things slap the R&D or Riva grate on that bad boy and ride

Where is the best place to buy either of those intake grates??

+1
    [quote
    Where is the best place to buy either of those intake grates??
    [/quote]

From the online store here. On the order form put in "greenhulk" into the coupon code to get a 10% discount.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...cPath=16_82_94

With the discount, it will be cheaper than you will find it anywhere else.

Don't forget to pick up the pump seal kit along with it.

Which ever companies grate you decide to go with. They each have their own seal kit. So make sure you match.

FZS also?

I'm picking up an FZS on Thursday. Does the FZS have the same issue as the FZR?
    If so can you supply the exact links of everything I need to remedy the issue?
    Also, I'm not mechanically inclined, is this something the dealer should install?

+1
    Riva grate: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1140

Riva plug kit: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1156

R&D grate:http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1120

R&D plug kit:http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1142

It's a coin flip as to which is better. They are about 85% identical. I went with R&D only because they were available first and i'm sure they'll have the ride plate out first first as well and they'll match.

The plugs just fill the voids in the casting of the grate and transom plate to keep air out. It's about a 3 on a 1-10 scale for the do it yourselfer.

Most of us take it one step further and seal the grate/shoe with 3m fast cure 4200 for a total air tight seal. About a 5 on scale. It's not hard, just messy.

There is a step by step in the how to section if you go that route.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information