Removing the "hat" GTX 4-Tec

I figured out where the leak was coming from as the carbon ring was not pressed up hard against the hat.

I bought all of the parts including a new shaft. I bought the seadoo spreader tool, and made a plywood shaft holder (Really simple: 12" x 2" 3/4 plywood, drilled 2 holes for the pump studs a hold 1/2 way through for the shaft, then glued and screwed a second piece of plywood (8" x 2") to double up the center section.) I could not get the hat to slip back to get the cir clip out. I hammered, use the tool, tons of PB Blaster spray. I ended up cutting it off (dremel with a cut off wheel), quite a mess but it did not matter with the new shaft coming.

Is this common, not being able to get the hat to slip back off the cir clip? Any suggestions for grease to keep it from happening again? Is it a problem if grease get between the carbon ring and the stainless steel mating plate of the hat?

Quote Originally Posted by richard kagen View Post
    Is this common, not being able to get the hat to slip back off the cir clip? Any suggestions for grease to keep it from happening again? Is it a problem if grease get between the carbon ring and the stainless steel mating plate of the hat?
    Yes, it's common for the floating ring (hat) it gets rusted to the shaft or rust on the shaft so it will not slide. I've never heard of anyone cutting it off but whatever it takes. I spray the driveshaft and floating ring with Fluid Film to attempt to keep it from rusting. It's in a humid and wet place and if you ride in salt water it's very hard to keep it free of rust. Yes, it is a problem if grease gets on the carbon ring. In order to seal properly the carbon ring must be clean and grease free. The manual recommends cleaning it with isopropyl alchol when installing. Good luck!

next time try a heat gun. 1200 degrees for several minutes will help a lot

+1
    with that much heat you might also toast the O rings inside the hat

the cut off wheel did not do the "o" rings much good either :)

just happy to have it off. I will try some fluid film, but the spot that seemed to hold it in place was the side at the carbon ring.

Thread Information