Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Right turn at speed

When travelling at speed I have to turn the handle bars to the right to keep the ski going in a straight line. This is not due to wind correction etc as the ski seems to want to left at high speed. The nozzle is centred out of the water. Everything on the ski looks centred.

Is this the same for all Skis above say 55/60MPH and due to rotation of the jet thrust from the pump, or do I have a prob with my ski?

+1
    Prob with your ski.

-Pump shoe pulling out.
    -Left sponson pulling away at front. (Riva bad about this)
    -Some other underwater obstruction.
    -Look for cracks on your intake grate.

Possible, but not probably by the way you describe it:
    -Steering cable bent or broken INTERNALLY.
    -Steering arm bolt at steering stalk is loose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    Prob with your ski.

-Pump shoe pulling out.
    -Left sponson pulling away at front. (Riva bad about this)
    -Some other underwater obstruction.
    -Look for cracks on your intake grate.

Possible, but not probably by the way you describe it:
    -Steering cable bent or broken INTERNALLY.
    -Steering arm bolt at steering stalk is loose.
    All very valid points.

A couple of times my boat has done that. I realized that I didnt center my ride plate. Put it on the trailer, loosened the bolts, centered it and went back out. Straight as an arrow. Its worth a try.

Cheers Guys, I'm going to swap out the R&D sponsons to stock ones stepped and centre the ride plate and see how it goes.

I've checked the pump, shoe and grate and all looks OK there.

+1
    Yep, Rich (WFO) hit it on the head. I've had the same turning problem and it was a misaligned ride plate.

Yep it was the ride plate.

I had swapped out my R&D Jim plate for the Riva 1300 one after I got toasted by a guy on a std 1300. His ski would stayed hooked up in the chop better than mine. I figured the Riva plate would be better in rough conditions as less angle and longer than the R&D jim plate. After this problem I checked the Riva plate on a flat level piece of glass and the Riva plate needs just over 4mm of packing on one side to get the middle section level. What a piece of crap..

I've now gone to the std plate to see how that hooks up in the chop, compaired to the angled R&D plate.

At least both the R&D & the std plate are square on the ski..

Hey Guys, I've been paying a lot of attention to ride plate threads since before even the shred master was introduced. I thought that the concensus was that the stock ride plate was still king in the rough water (chop over 1.5 ft). Please let me know your opinions.

Another newbie here. I just installed my PPK, 2bar grate, and R&D plate, and am experiencing the same thing in my ski when going down the water. I have to turn the handlebars to the right to keep it straight. I know you guys said to make sure the plate was straight but is there a trick to it? I would think as long as you used the bolt holes there wouldn't be a lot of room for play. I eyeballed it but maybe the old eyes aren't what they used to be. Are you checking from left to right as far as it being straight? My spoons are stepped and it didn't do this before I installed these parts this week. Would this condition also cause the ski to not be as fast too? Thanks for any feedback.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthrn
    Another newbie here. I just installed my PPK, 2bar grate, and R&D plate, and am experiencing the same thing in my ski when going down the water. I have to turn the handlebars to the right to keep it straight. I know you guys said to make sure the plate was straight but is there a trick to it? I would think as long as you used the bolt holes there wouldn't be a lot of room for play. I eyeballed it but maybe the old eyes aren't what they used to be. Are you checking from left to right as far as it being straight? My spoons are stepped and it didn't do this before I installed these parts this week. Would this condition also cause the ski to not be as fast too? Thanks for any feedback.
    Yes left to right centered. Also lay the plate upside down on a flat surface to see if it rocks back and forth. When aligning the plate, make sure the gap on the "v" portion (sides) of the pump shoe is the same left to right before tightening. Shove it all the way forward, center it, and tighten front bolts then back.

+1
    Ride Plate quality does vary. I had a Pro-Tec Plate on an XL I had to use my dremel and grind slots in the holes to allow it to shift to left so it would be centered so do not assume everything comes to you perfect especially cast aluminum parts allways check on a flat surface for warp too.

OsideBill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information