Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

951 down 951 down

My buddy brought over his 98 GSXL 951 just like mine just bought a pair of skis from a guy this winter. Guy said they where all winterized etc. Well the 97 GSX 800 started ok, but the 98 was froze solid. Pulled the plugs obviosly not winterized plugs all corroded. Pulled the head rings rusted to cylinders. I put the PB blaster to them to free them up got it to turn, but I told him its junk. I wouldnt run it no matter how free it became. 951's dont like that. We will be pulling the top end off pulling the crank out to check it. I am hoping its only the top end. Any tips on what to look for in the lower end? Where can I get parts for the top. I rebuilt mine, but it was so long ago I dont even know who I got the parts from on here.

Anyone have any suggestions I was looking at SBT for parts or possibly a whole motor for him

Obviously,,, look for rust on the Crank.

SBT has no problem accepting "rusty" engines as a core trade in, just so there are no holes in the Cases. Minor cracks are repaired but they charge a little extra.

They throw away the Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Bearings, Rods, etc.

They use the Cases, Jug(s), Head, Crank Webs, Crank Nose and PTO tail. I think that is all.
    Last edited by David_HX_RXP; 06-08-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: x

+1
    They also put the pistons on with snap rings and seal the cases with regular black RTV.

They clean up easy when you have to do a rebuild on one that croaked a month out of warranty.

I was actually looking for other places or suggestions for parts if we do the top end ourselves. I bought a top end kit for mine from someone on this board I thought it was like SBT pistons but different wrist pin bearings etc

+1
    I get my OE parts from a guy named Jim Budnick. He is around here sometimes. Also, Dan from Waterworks (or worx, can not remember) is a good guy to deal with. He is around here too.

IMO, stick with OE. Some guys like Pro-X (I do not) and they are ok pistons that come bigger than OE and are a heck of a lot better than SBT or WSM.

I resleeve a cylinder to stay OE but that is me.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    I just finish rebuilding mine, I went OEM and had the cyclinders bored to the next size up. was not that hard, I did have the carbs rebuilt by a local shop.

I am not a fan of SBT for anything

Ahhhh I am pretty sure it was Jim Budnick now that I see the name. I think I got the parts from him last time. I will look him up

Jim is also my go to guy, and he's only an hour away from me. He defiantly know what he's doing with the 951's, and has lots of parts laying around. His name on here is jim

+1
    I prefer Dan @ waterworx, at least with him your not getting smoke blown up your ass.
    As far as your motor, depending on how the pistons were sitting in cylinder will determine if your crank is any good. A buddy had a XPL sit for 4 years, took the motor out and it was frozen solid. But the pistons were blocking the exhaust ports, so I was hoping that the crank would be fine. Guess what, it was. I sanded lightly on the pistons and rings to clean them up, honed the cylinders for him and off he went. He put about 50 hours on it last year and has another 15 or so hours on it this year.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information