Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Running hot

Running hot

My 2004 GP1300R (84hrs) seems to be running abnormally hot since the end of last season. When I say "hot" I mean like I can't touch the engine for more than a second after riding, and any water I spray onto it boils off instantly. Once I flush from a garden hose it cools off quickly. It wasn't like this thru the beginning and middle parts of last season, and my friend who has a 2004 GP1300R doesn't run as hot as this either after we ride. I've never gotten any warning lights or diagnostic codes and the engine doesn't run sluggish or anything.

I went thru a series of weird things going through my intake grate, such as a piece of rigid plastic tubing and an entire helium balloon with string attached. I also rode over a shoal and sucked up some sand and mud (not like me to do that). I can't remember exactly when it started running hot, but it corresponds to when these events happened so what I just did was I removed the inlet strainer from the pump housing to check it, found nothing. I removed the cooling water hose from where it connects to the exhaust after the Y connecter from the flush port and I fed some aquarium tubing thru it all the way back to the inlet strainer while blowing compressed air through it. I could only get it to within a few inches of the strainer but nothing of interest came out but some water.....So now I'm stumped. The engine cools properly right away on flush water, but not while riding.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

+1
    Being from L.I. i assume you ride a lot in salt water. It's possible you may have a build up of salt deposits in your cooling passages in the motor and exhaust.

I believe a member posted about this on his ski during rebuild a few weeks back. It's one avenue to look at.

P.S. i'm mostly a fresh water rider, but when we do salt we dump our ski's into the river on way home to flush.

Thanks for the reply. You are right about how much I ride in saltwater. I flush very thoroughly after each ride though. And when I do flush, the engine cools quickly. That's what is confusing me...if it were in fact a buildup within the engine, it would take equally as long to cool via flush port as when on water.

I feel like there's a clog or a bottleneck somewhere between the inlet strainer and the connection to the flush port, but I couldn't find any conclusive evidence...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    I believe a member posted about this on his ski during rebuild a few weeks back.
    That was me. Simple way to check - pull one head off and check the coolant passages. But first I'd pull the pump strainer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    That was me. Simple way to check - pull one head off and check the coolant passages. But first I'd pull the pump strainer.
    Thanks, i originally put you in post but edited it since i wasn't 100% sure.

Where on the Island are you located?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    But first I'd pull the pump strainer.
    +1

If you ran over mud and a balloon, there may be something stuck in the strainer and thats why it cools fine on the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by b0om07 View Post
    ...so what I just did was I removed the inlet strainer from the pump housing to check it, found nothing.
    That was the first thing I did...The passage it connects to was clear as far as I could probe it.

+1
    take out your pump strainer, there is most likely a huge build-up of barnacles inside of it along with other types of sea-life. A friend picked up (2) Polaris genesis skis and that was the first thing I looked for. Found a 5/8" inlet line that was working with about 1/4" because of the barnacles. I ended up changing a line or two but for the most part they only stuck to the plastic pipe. On gpr's I'm willing to bet the issue is nearly 100 percent contained within or around the strainer/lines.

Flushing skips over quite a bit of that crud which tells you one thing. The issue is not really in the water jacket of the motor or the exhaust.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    The issue is not really in the water jacket of the motor or the exhaust.
    And how exactly do you know this?

Corrosion can, in fact, cause cooling problems. I just experienced it in my recent rebuild. Detonation in No. 3 due to significant corrosion in the water jackets and coolant holes in the head gasket.

To the OP, pull a head and see what it looks like down there if you don't find anything else on the ski causing the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information