Thread: Exhaust leak

Exhaust leak

Ok, so I have a modified primary waterbox. A few weeks ago on my first trip, water started dumping into my hull. Well, when I got home and pulled everything apart twice, I realized that one of the ends had cracked half of the weld. I just got back from Havasu and am having multiple issues. Not only do I think my plugs fouled on me, but I just noticed that the other weld that I didnt have fixed has a smaller crack. I was able to see water spraying out of the close side (with the fitting). How much pressure gets put on the waterbox? Was is just a shotty weld the first time? I know that quite a few of these were used by members here in the past.

I would prefer not to list the maker of this because he is a member and posts on these boards, but some may know which I am talking about.

Anyway, I am just trying to understand why this has happened twice now...everything was fine for a year until now.

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BC18471 View Post
    Ok, so I have a modified primary waterbox. A few weeks ago on my first trip, water started dumping into my hull. Well, when I got home and pulled everything apart twice, I realized that one of the ends had cracked half of the weld. I just got back from Havasu and am having multiple issues. Not only do I think my plugs fouled on me, but I just noticed that the other weld that I didnt have fixed has a smaller crack. I was able to see water spraying out of the close side (with the fitting). How much pressure gets put on the waterbox? Was is just a shotty weld the first time? I know that quite a few of these were used by members here in the past.

I would prefer not to list the maker of this because he is a member and posts on these boards, but some may know which I am talking about.

Anyway, I am just trying to understand why this has happened twice now...everything was fine for a year until now.

Thanks.
    How did the ski run? was it stalling/bogging?

Ran horrible. The last morning the rpm's dropped considerably between runs. By the time I had to leave, the ski barely made it back to the marina. At idle it would die and over 2000 rpm's it would die. Could the loss of back-pressure have anything to do with this? Again, I am not sure if the plugs may be an issue as well...

+1
    If you have even a minor exhaust leak (yours sounds potentially more than minor), and your engine air intake pulls ANY air from inside the hull, your motor will run like crap due to not getting any oxygen, in fact the total opposite. Exhaust leaks will absolutely kill engine performance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BC18471 View Post
    Ran horrible. The last morning the rpm's dropped considerably between runs. By the time I had to leave, the ski barely made it back to the marina. At idle it would die and over 2000 rpm's it would die. Could the loss of back-pressure have anything to do with this? Again, I am not sure if the plugs may be an issue as well...
    I have this issue with my ski bogging and stalling from low to mid RPM's. I also have the water box modded. Makes me wonder if its related to the W/B.

Thread Information