Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another generic question that nobody wants to read...

I am new to these forums but have been reading here for a while.. I have been reading about jet skis for a LONG time and done many hours of research. I have narrowed down my list of potential skis to the yamaha fzr or seadoo rxp-x. My only concern is where I live. I have read that the rxp is faster but not so good in rough water, also, some quality issues. I have also read the yamaha is not as fast but fairly fast enough but handles great in rough water. I am concerned with the size of the fzr and would like a smaller nimble bike but could live with the size if I had to. Anyway I live on the Mississippi coast and will be riding in rivers and in the Gulf of Mexico which isnt ever really that rough maybe 1/2 to 1 foot waves. I'll more than likely travel to some of the islands off of the coast say Ship Island and Cat Island. I do want the speed and nimbleness of the rxp but am very concerned with the durability as I have heard some complaints about the hull falling apart, cracking, and lamination flaking off. So how does the quality of these two bikes compare? How do you think the rxp will handle the gulf and going to islands? Will it handle the waves to make it through some rough stuff? Which one do you think would suit my needs? How long do either of these jet last, what is their life expectancy? Which is more durable? Pretty much any other basis that I havent touched in those questions too... Trust me I have done my research but would appreciate some feedback taylored to my spific questions. I thank you for your time and look forward to joining the jet ski community.

SS

ps. I spelled Sauce wrong in my name on purpose... Im not that dumb

+1
    IMO, if going off-shore much at all I would want an RXT.

RXT +1

Best of both worlds, fast and smoother in rough water, although neither unit is truly "nimble" when compared with the Hulls of yesteryear. (i.e. XP / / SPX/ HX)

As far as durability, the Hull problems you may of heard of are very few and far between and some of them are caused by abuse and / or highly modded machines. I would also consider you may "hear" of more quality issues w/ Sea-Doo since there are far more of them out there. 10 to 1 against Yamaha in my area. more units sold = more problems discovered

Although I never owned one of the newer Yamaha products, I understand their new "Nano" technology Hull is very strong and light when compared to F-glass / plastic composite.

+1
    The problems are in the pump tunnels for the most part. As D said, this is more prevelent with modified machines. They engineered them for a certain amount of pressure. Once you start to go beyond the design threshold, you risk failure without reinforcement. It is the price of saving weight. A buddy of mine once tried to break up a 95 GTX with a sledge hammer. The hammer flew across the yard and the hull was barely scratched. It would likely go right through a newer hull. But that old solid glass hull is heavy.

Delamination has been around as long as the fiberglass boat hull.

You can get a bad one from anybody so that should not really be a part of the equation. Get a boat that will do what you need it to do and that you like (if it is not pretty to you, you will never really like it).

Quick and nimble is fine, I know since I own and XPL and an RX. But at the end of the day when the traffic is heavy on the lake or we are out in the salt water, our GTX is a heck of a lot more user friendly. It is even fun to jump in the surf, just watch those flat landings. They do not go so well.

+1
    The rxpx is a fun boat. The rxtx's are the ones with the tunnel cracking issues and the delam issue was mostly an issue for the 04-05 skis. I have not heard of any x boats delaming. Only time will tell how wll the fz's hold up but I know the sho's have tunnel cracking problems also. Keep in mind the fz's are bigger than the rxtx's although I hear they handle quite well for there size. I think you will be happy either way.

if you ride rough water have you considered getting an IS?

I ride a lot in an area with fairly small chop (usually 6-24"). I occasionally see a few RXPs and RXP-Xs, and as soon as there is so much as a ripple they can't hang with me. I would definitely suggest an RXT/T-X. You'll be able to scream through chop with no issues, and handling is impressive for a big ski.

One of my favorite places to ride, tide allowing is this: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1

It's not wide, but it's deep, and even on the 11 ft long T-X I can scream out of there at over 50 if I want to.

I'm not running anything besides an intake, but as of now, my pump tunnel is pristine at about 25 hours.

+1
    simple buy my rxp! and you will have a blast!! the smaller skis are more fun!

thanks for the responses...

SS

I've noticed that in chop with an R&D grate the RXP-X runs SMOOTH over the chop like an MX bike over whoops...if you're at speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information