Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Another generic question that nobody wants to read...

I am new to these forums but have been reading here for a while.. I have been reading about jet skis for a LONG time and done many hours of research. I have narrowed down my list of potential skis to the yamaha fzr or seadoo rxp-x. My only concern is where I live. I have read that the rxp is faster but not so good in rough water, also, some quality issues. I have also read the yamaha is not as fast but fairly fast enough but handles great in rough water. I am concerned with the size of the fzr and would like a smaller nimble bike but could live with the size if I had to. Anyway I live on the Mississippi coast and will be riding in rivers and in the Gulf of Mexico which isnt ever really that rough maybe 1/2 to 1 foot waves. I'll more than likely travel to some of the islands off of the coast say Ship Island and Cat Island. I do want the speed and nimbleness of the rxp but am very concerned with the durability as I have heard some complaints about the hull falling apart, cracking, and lamination flaking off. So how does the quality of these two bikes compare? How do you think the rxp will handle the gulf and going to islands? Will it handle the waves to make it through some rough stuff? Which one do you think would suit my needs? How long do either of these jet last, what is their life expectancy? Which is more durable? Pretty much any other basis that I havent touched in those questions too... Trust me I have done my research but would appreciate some feedback taylored to my spific questions. I thank you for your time and look forward to joining the jet ski community.

SS

ps. I spelled Sauce wrong in my name on purpose... Im not that dumb

+1
    SS,
    welcome to the GH forums.

It really sounds to me like you already have a handle on things, but you are looking for confirmation.

Look at it this way:
    -under 10ft craft are nimble and fun. GPR, and other smaller craft.
    -10ft craft are a good compromise. 15F, and RXP
    -12ft craft are going to be more stable. Ultra, RXT, SHO, FZR, 15f

Other than that, you can read for yourself all the pluses and minus of each model.

Moderated
    welcome to the board SS, good luck with your research.

thanks for the responses, and yes I am looking for confirmation from someone with a little more experience than me. Im sure I will be happy with either of them..

SS

The FZR isnt really that much slower than the RXP-X i dont think. I've never actually raced one, but I did race an RXT-X from a roll and stayed in front the whole time. The FZR doest really feel that big once you get it up to speed and start turning. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by WavruninPWC View Post
    The FZR isnt really that much slower than the RXP-X i dont think. I've never actually raced one, but I did race an RXT-X from a roll and stayed in front the whole time. The FZR doest really feel that big once you get it up to speed and start turning. Hope this helps
    thanks and yes it does help... every bit helps. I would really like to get the rxp as that is my first choice, I'm just worried about

1. Which one will last longer (I will not mod either ski i get)
    2. If I get the rxp will it be able to handle open water like in the gulf... its not too rough just minor chop.

I know the yamaha will take the waves pretty good and i am really a big fan of yamaha, but would like to know how they stack up against the seadoo. I like smallness of the rxp and it looks really nimble apposed to the fzr's big and bulky look. thanks for the answers..

SS

+1
    Welcome SS to GH.

I, like you, just read on these forums. I think that you have the facts to base your decision.

With a few simple upgrades, I am sure that they will both meet or exceed your expectations for your anticipated riding conditions. You have the facts already about which one has more or less common issues and only you can decide which issues arent really much of a concern at all to you.

As far as getting opinions, they are just that, opinions. Everybody has one, and you never know how accurate they are if the person offering their opinion is brand loyal.

Good Luck, either choice is great.

Welcome to the hulk SS

Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1
    Ride them first. Think about it, and if unsure, ride them again.

I did this over and over before I purchased my last vehicle, and it insured me against any regrets.

+1
    There are plenty of great people on GH that will help, no questions asked. I wish I could help, but I have never ridden either the RXPX or a FZR.

BTW: Welcome to GH SS!!!
    Last edited by JP; 06-10-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: housekeeping...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information