Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 zxi 1100 roasted my first cylinder

anyone seen this happen before & or have an idea how it happened. The 3rd piston was on its way to looking like this, But didnt make it there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02974.JPG 
Views:	994 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	136108  

a few more photos

another pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02973.JPG 
Views:	859 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	136112  

thats a crappy way to start the summer!
    sorry that happened, you will need to remove the motor and completely disassemble that engine.
    piston just got too hot, not enough lube or too much air, front cylinder too, mine runs 100F hotter on that cylinder then the other two.
    knock on wood it still runs, on the oem pistons! 1997/2009
    check for intake leaks and look into the carbs make sure no debris got into the fuel bowls.
    if it is injected you can have the injectors flowed.
    last, check the cooling system, lines, cooling passages, something has to be out of line.
    Javier

ZXI rear cylinders

One of the biggest known problems with the triple ZXI engines is that the rear cylinder runs hotter. I always add 2 extra water inputs directly into the cooling bosses on these motors. (1 per cylinder)
    Do a search on this and you will see that your not the only one with this issue.

Hey thanks for all the extensive knowkedge. I am new to this jet ski thing, and I find it pretty cool all you guys are willing to help a newby out. Yeah, what a way to start the summer & start in the world of jet skiing. The day I did this I, traveled through a 1/2 mile or so on a shallow inlet, where I may have sucked up some weed. My buddy said I may have clogged my lines or something. When disassembling the motor I did notice small signs of weeds in the cylinders where the water flows. Is this what may have cause it to overheat. Where should I look for air leaks. So you are saying I should disassemble the lower unit as well. The cranks and rods seem to be OK. I was just going to order a top end piston kit and get a newer cylinder with a stock bore. I am also going to take the oil pump out a do the premix thing. Thanks again

Depending on how bad the cylinder is on your ski, you most likely don't need to get a whole new cylinder! They are not cheap even used.

Take the cylinder to a local machine shop and see what oversize piston they suggest. You can go oversize in just 1 cylinder, however it might be time to just replace them all.

It is possible for it to be sucking air and running lean in that cylinder, but its probably not from the intake manifold, if thats the case its probably a bad rear crank seal.

See if you can blow through the water hose that brings water from the pump up to the engine, if you can't thats probably it. While your at it have 2 more brass fittings installed on the head and "T" off the one thats on there now to bring more water into the engine evenly.

Keep us informed!

+1
    That could be an oil injection issue. Thats why I removed that system and premix on my ski. That motor could be toast..... rods, crank, case and all

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    That could be an oil injection issue. Thats why I removed that system and premix on my ski. That motor could be toast..... rods, crank, case and all

not to put a shower on the parade of good hope but i can half agree with superdave... though it does not look like the ol injection went bad it has happened to me in the past... there goes my motor. did a complete overhal on it over the winter with my neighbor and my dad who has a machine shop in his garage...

safe to say that motor is being dropped into a 550-650 conversion build up.... lets hope she dont die this time (went pre mixed to avoid the situation again)

btw... the name of that conversion ski is "shitsquatch" http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91277

That is definitely not an oil injection problem!
    That is a melted piston which the ZXI is known to have a problem with on the rear cylinder. A failed oil injection will cause ALL the parts inside the engine to seize especially the lower rod bearings.

I do agree that its a very good idea especially on older skis to remove the oil injection and go premix.

I ordered a whole new cylinder, and a wsm top end kit, but you said and a friend of mine who builds race bikes and cars told me that it is a good Idea to take apart the whole bottom end, to inspect and clean. My head is pretty hammered on that same cylinder, but it doesnt have any cracks, should I replace the head as well or do you think I can grind down and polish all the marks. Or will this changs compression or the way it runs. I guess I am learning way to much about jet skis, so far I have more time working on one then riding one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information